Graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrUnkn0wn, Jan 25, 2010.

1. MrUnkn0wn macrumors newbie

So my brother gave me his old iMac G3, and I want to know, is there a way to update the graphics thing on this computer so I can do atleast SOME gaming? If so, please tell how!

2. macbookman2006 macrumors newbie

What kind of games are you referring to? You cannot install anything Windows on a G3. If it is a Macintosh game, and your system meets the minimum requirements, I wouldn't see why it would be an issue. Could you be more specific? What kind of Graphics "thing" do you have now?

3. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Like Urban Terror
    In lowest graphics settings of course which I'm sure it will work with my computer. And there is a mac client for the game and I dont know what graphics "thing" i have.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Looking up your particular iMac G3 at the site flopticalcube mentioned will tell you which graphics chip it has, but the fastest is going to be a Rage 128, which probably won't work with any remotely modern game (which the one you linked appears to be).

Your iMac's graphics chip is not upgradeable, so if it doesn't work there's nothing you can do about it.

Unless you have a really slow internet connection the easiest way to find out is to just download the game you're interested in and try it--either it works, doesn't work, or launches but is unplayable.

5. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, Having the game on lowest settings is mostly lag free. Will reducing my brightness, or reducing amount of colors, etc help make it lag less?:apple:

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Huh, quite surprising. Must have lower graphics requirements than I thought.

Changing brightness will make no difference whatsoever. Color depth may or may not; in the distant past it would help, but I think even remotely modern cards are optimized to run at higher bit depth.

As a rule the easiest way is to try it and find out for yourself--if it makes any difference, you should know pretty quickly. Not like it's time consuming to change the settings, load the game, and see.