Graphing Calculator App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikelong622, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok...I know this question has been asked before. In fact, I participated in a few of the other posts of this question. But it never got solved. Just thought I'd bring it up again to see if anyone new knows anything. I'm looking for a graphing calculater application. It'd be nice to have something like ur standard TI-89 calculator. If anyone knows of something similar let me know!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Having never used a TI-89, I'm not exactly sure...but isn't Grapher (Applications->Utilities) what you're looking for?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. mikelong622 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sort of...I'm more just looking for a Scientific/Graphing calculator...something that I can put longer calculations into. It's nothing that I really NEED. I just think it would be more interesting than the boring old one that OSX comes with.

Let me clarify...I don't really need to graph...just want a graphing calculator or bigger scientific calculator like app. Yeah I'm confusing myself now...

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

How about this one written for Java?

http://gcalc.net/

Click on GCalc 3. You can download this to your hard drive and use it offline. I find it pretty good and a simple fix. Not sure if it will do what you are asking

6. DrMoray macrumors member

Did you try Conspiracy? It was written by Craig Hockenberry of Iconfactory fame. It's a graphing application specifically for the iPhone so maybe that's not what you wanted, but I thought it worth a mention.

7. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

There's always Grapher.app, in your /Applications/Utilities folder, which does some things and produces reasonable plots and can do some numerical analysis. Good for simple things.

Alternatively there's a combination of python and a plotting frontend (e.g. gnuplot, matplotlib), or something like Mathematica for doing much more complex stuff.

8. jhorton12 macrumors newbie

9. joe16 macrumors newbie

joe16

Have you tried the CD that came with your TI-89? I have the same calculator and I use TI Connect on my Mac to make graphs.

10. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

the op wants something that can do more complex computing. like that of your standard graphing calculator. im looking for something of the same caliber. something that can use variables and substitute values. i cant find anything tho.

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

12. TimsTime macrumors newbie

How about this one:

http://www.vroomlab.com/nhome

click on calculator image to get free access.

No download and works with computer and Mobile devices

13. TimsTime macrumors newbie

The most powerful virtual CAS I have found:

http://www.vroomlab.com/nhome

click on calculator image to get access.

this is definitely what you are looking for. it is a virtual computer algebra system

14. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Out of curiosity I checked Amazon for graphing calculators. I was astounded they still cost between $30 and $200, new and used. Calculators are junk compared to what an iPod can do. (I know an iPod costs over $200, but still....)

Why aren't there more Apps for computing matrices, and all of the complex things a TI-85 can do?

15. Oats macrumors regular

Check out Console Calculator.

Console Calculator is a powerful calculator with a simple console interface. In addition to being a high-precision calculator (300+ bits of precision), it also support base conversion, units conversion, and much more. The interface is convenient and easy to use. Create your own variables and functions, recall previous entries, and quickly hide it with a keystroke. Many other conveniences are included that make Console Calculator a multi-function tool that engineers or software developers will appreciate.

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

Old thread, I know but many people like me use Google and see it.....

You already have this on your Mac. Bring up the terminal and type "bc" then hit return.

Then type "scale=10" to set the number of decimal places to 10 or whatever you like up to about 300.

Next try this

mary = 1.2345
    john = 6.789
    mary/john

sqrt(2)

I think the OP may already have what he wants. It has been on most UNIX-likesystems for 20 years. Maybe longer.