Graphite iBook - Let's mod it!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrCheeto, May 3, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I just received my 'new' Graphite iBook, 366mhz!

I really love how rugged it is, it seems my cares of getting a scratch on my MacBook Pro are alleviated when I feel the plastic and rubber shell. It will serve as my rugged book for word processing and spreadsheet creating on the job site, so I no longer have to wear gloves to keep my fingers clean enough to type on my beauty.

Pause: I'm in love*

Ok, now that that's through with, let's mod this thing!! It arrived in pretty beat up shape, with a missing leaf and fading blotches on the rubber underside. I want to make it look as radbadical as it did the day it was shipped, but without "restoring" it.

So, here's what I'm asking from you. I want tips on:

1. Overclocking - It's 366mhz with 66mhz FSB, no firewire
    2.PAINT! - Let's trick this out! Clear case? Painted innards? Major rad pinstripes?
    3. Hard-Mods - How can I add some LED's? Let's flip that damn Apple over. Pismo keyboard, anyone?

Let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

WE HAVE A THEME!

After racking my brain, I decided I wanted to go about like this:

Paint the outer shell GLOSS white and the rubber a sort of grass-green. Since Apple's attempt at green triggers my gag reflex, this would have been my way of making an iBook nobody had seen before, but could easily pass as an Apple original.

Thoughts?

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Do what you want, but I couldn't stand using my Clamshell with it's pewny 800 x 600 resolution...

You need to uprez the screen to 1024x768 by transplanting a screen from a G3 (dual usb) or G4 iBook like I have.

You'll also need the proper display cable to mate up with the new screen, but the backlight inverter is compatible.

Here's most of the info
    http://forums.macnn.com/73/mac-modification/305763/clamshell-ibook-questions-lcd-cd-logic/

and here's some troubleshooting/more to read
    http://community.livejournal.com/ibookmod/

Then, you should install a multitouch trackpad (or just a first gen iPod Touch running iTap ;D ), two ssds and an internal USB hub that makes use of the right side of the computer too.

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Slow down, champ. I haven't got past installing the Core 2 Quad.