Grat headphones for Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natman, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Natman macrumors member

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I want to know what are some good headphones that are portable enough to stuff in a backpack (the folding kind would be great). Not looking for "earbuds". Any suggestions on quality great-sounding headphones for a reasonable price (say around $50)?

FWIW I just got my Blackbook today so I'm officially part of the club... :apple:

Thanks for the help

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Koss Porta Pro

Can get them cheaper from other sites.

Congrats on the MB.

3. oldtime macrumors regular

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

5. skuzzy macrumors member

I have had a set of Bose Triports few about 2 years now. Great headphones, they haven't once let me down. They weigh almost nothing and are very comfortable. I know they are pretty old now, but consider them.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

third the sennheisers. i have EH150 cans and they are amazing.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Choose something with a highish impedance: a higher load will help offset the 'digital crap' you hear out of the invariably mediocre audio of most laptops including the entire Apple range.

The Koss Portapro mentioned earlier is a good choice for that reason - it's 60 ohms impedance. The KSC-75 also from Koss is a cheap and cheerful 60-ohm clip-on phone. Decent sounding and only $20.

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Still another vote for the Sennheiser PX-100. They come in Black or White, fold down to fit in its own carrying case, and the best part, produce incredible sound.

10. Natman thread starter macrumors member

I gotta say the PX200 set looks pretty good because they're a closed back design. Can anyone comment on those? I often need to block out the noise of a computer room or library (yes, they're noisy in university) or the subway.

Thanks for tips so far everyone!

11. jeff^d macrumors member

A fifth for Sennheiser PX-100. Sounds like your decision is made :D

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Won't do that much on a subway. The isolation depending on fit is less than cheap in-ear phones like the Sony EX earphones. The cups are fairly small so the size and shape of your ear makes the sound variable.

The AKG K26P is a slightly better fitting phone which is also closed but it's very bassy - too much for my tastes. May work for you.

13. pattman247 macrumors regular

buddy, Sennheiser px-100 are the way to go, i dont know how they do it, but it sounds soo good! :)
    for the price, and they go really loud

14. Natman thread starter macrumors member

Well I sprang for a set of PX200's. I know the highs won't be the same (21kHz insstead of 27kHz on the PX100) but they have the closed back which is pretty essential because I don't want those around me to hear my music and I need to block out ambient noise often. Thanks again for tips! I will certainly consider the PX100's and Koss Porta Pros if these are not awesome and I'll leave my review of this set when I get to spend some time with them.

15. gpeden macrumors regular

Wow, so many "votes" for the PX 100's! I was shopping for some headphones too and would jump at those, but how loud is the sound from these open designs? Disturbing to someone in the same room watching TV?

Cheers!
    Glen

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

These are awesome, great for listening to NIN.

17. alljunks macrumors regular

I just got a pair of logitech noise cancellation headphone.. Tigerdirect has it on sale.. Great headphone..

18. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

19. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I like the AKG K 26 P.
    It's small and close fitting, and delivers huge bass and details. Great pair of headphones if you like rock music and big explosions! :cool:

20. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I just ordered these at Amazon ($44.99 complete - free shipping). I'll get them Wednesday and report back. -GDF

21. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I have a pair of sony mdr-ex71's that are a decent pair for around $40. Sound good on the macbook pro, though I haven't tried them on my desktop that has a xfi XtremeGamer card.

The EX earphones are one the bassy side as well (at least the mdr-ex71).

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah... they're popular since you can buy them anywhere, which is why I mentioned 'like the EX'. I think though they're the worst of the similar types of phones you can get. If you wanted the cheap half in ear type of earphone I'd say the JVC FX55 (cheaper, better sounding yet with more low bass) or Sennheiser CX (better balance to the sound, 2-year warranty) ones are better bets.

23. Natman thread starter macrumors member

The PX-200's are great set of phones. I'm very happy with them. Combined with the (relatively) versatile eq in iTunes, I get quality sound for everything I have listened to so far (all rock & blues based to date). No lack of highs, but good solid bass and the feel is a step up from the chapies I'm used to. That's what I wanted and that's what I got so I'm happy.

24. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Update: I got my beautiful white PX-200's and they're very good for the price. They aren't as good as my expensive noise-canceling Senneisers but I feel more comfortable throwing them in my case for everyday use. Happy!

25. gpeden macrumors regular

Well, my Sennheiser PX-100's arrived and I'm very pleased with them! You should have seen me jump when i was authorizing a new computer with iTunes and then Led Zep's "Good Times Bad Times" kicked in at full volume :) Funny enough, I was worried about the open design being a bother to my wife as she sits nearby watching TV. But she could hardly recognize that Led Zep was playing loudly, let alone hearing anything at all. She said, "easy to ignore". One "oh-oh" for me is that the TV seems quite loud and is somewhat an irritation until I turn it down. Perhaps a closed design or noise canceling might be better for me under some circumstances, but these things are really nice!

Glen