GravBook - Sync Gravatars to your Address Book (BETA TESTERS NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nomar383, Apr 3, 2011.

1. nomar383, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So I wrote this app over the last few days and I think it's about ready for a few people to beta test.

First some background:
    Gravatar is a service that will let you set a global avatar on a particular email address. Anyone can request this Gravatar to use in their application or web service. This way, you don't have to login, or even upload an avatar for every site you go to. A lot of developer-centric services use this service (including GitHub, GitTower, Redmine, and many more).

Basically, my app looks at your Address Book, then grabs all the Gravatars (gravatar.com) that it can find for any of your contacts. You can choose to overwrite existing images, or just search for new ones.

Let me know what you think!

Current Beta Version: 1.0.1

Link: PM/Email me!

NOTES:
    * The "Backup Address Book" feature is not yet implemented. You should backup your Address Book manually, just in case.
    * The icon is really crappy. I'm not a designer obviously lol

2. chriszgn macrumors newbie

chriszgn

u grab them all?

how about our privacy?

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

It grabs the Gravatars for any and all email addresses that have them in your AddressBook.

Not sure what privacy concerns you have. The app communicates directly with the Gravatar servers (no communication with any other third-party servers). All the email requests are MD5 hashed so they shouldn't be seen during transmission.

4. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Current TO-DO:
    * Filter search by group.
    * Add nicer icon.
    * Implement Address Book backup.