gray dots on LCD screen, rapidly increasing...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harlequin29, Dec 2, 2009.

1. harlequin29 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 2.2 Santa Rosa Rev. D model. Recently I have discovered gray dots appearing along the top of my screen. A few at first, but masses growing are growing rapidly. In the past 3 weeks the problem has started to spread to both my right and left edges as well. Under different viewing angles the dots sort of dissapear. The dots are not uniform in size or pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a slight feeling that this has to do with my NVIDIA 8600GT graphic card.

I read tonight that that specific card was reported faulty and thousands have had problems and have had to get their logic boards replaced.

I also read that Apple extended their warranty for this specific reason.

Anyways, the dots are increasing and it's worrying me as I am not sure if this will be covered or not.

I would like to sell this laptop and replace it with a uMBP asap but I do not feel right selling it and knowing that the problem is getting worse by the day.

Does anyone know what this is and is it covered by Apple's extended Nvidia warranty? My original warranty has expired and I don't really know what I can do.

Thanks!

2. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump: has anyone ever heard/seen of these gray splotches? it's actually worse today.:eek:

3. Mhmm macrumors member

Stop spitting when you talk!

Nah, man, if it was me, I would be taking it to an Apple Store as soon as possible; can't hurt having them take a look.

4. AaronX macrumors member

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Looks like moisture to me.... Which Apple may very well not cover.

But yeah go to the Apple store and set up an appointment with a genius.

6. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

I agree, looks like moisture.

7. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

what kind of cable would I need to hook up my MBP to my macbook 13"?

is this possible?

Thanks for all the responses!

8. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D:D I actually do have a stuttering problem, and i'm a hairstylist. I have to be very careful to not spit on my clients. lol

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just an ethernet cable. Set up screen sharing in system preferences under the Sharing tab. :)

10. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an ethernet cable, how do I specify to make my MBP screen'shot' run on my macbook under sharing?

Can anyone screenshare with me via ichat? PM me if you can help =]

11. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

I had the same exact thing on my old Santa Ros 2.4 MBP. Took it to the Apple Store, they sent it out and replaced the display and the logic board.
    About seven months later, the spots came back on the new display.

So I am wondering if it had to do with the heat generated by the GPU, which we all know is bad anyway, because they were in the exact same place. But mine were all along the right hand side.

So definitely take it to the store.

Never got a answer as to what it was, though.
    Just for my own curiosity, if you find out, let me know.

12. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the response! Unfortunately the closest apple store is 2.5 hours away. There is a certified apple tech 2.5 miles away, I'll see if he is away of the 8600 problem and see what he has to say about this.

Thank everyone!

13. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

I wouldn't even do that. If you still have Apple Care, I would just call and deal with them solely.
    But that's just me.

14. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

No apple care to my knowledge. I bought this computer used 6 months ago. :cool: does that mean I may not be covered because I don't have the original receipt? I would assume they would stand by their product regardless of ownership. That's what I hope!

15. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

No, that's not what it means.
    Since you bought it used six months ago, with no AppleCare, you are out of warranty.

You can always go here to check your status: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

It'll let you know for sure. There is always the chance that the person you bought it from had AppleCare on the machine, but just didn't tell you.
    Don't get your hopes up, though.

The only other somewhat good thing is that if it is related to the 8600 issue, depending on the age of the computer, that is covered, regardless of the original warranty, for an additional two years after the one year support expires.

16. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I had a similar problem with my computer. about 6 months after I purchased it new, I saw those dots. I took it to applecare expecting them to replace the display. they replaced the display AND the logic board. I'm not sure why they messed with the logic board, it could be that the logic board was about to go die and they just happened to catch it. i'm not sure.

17. harlequin29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Better start doing some serious 3d and video work.:eek: