Gray Screen of Death in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SgtP3pp3r, Jul 24, 2011.

1. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

Ok,
    i would like to hear other people's opinion on this before i get all up on OCW for selling bad memory.

I installed Lion on thursday night with close to no issues, set up my stuff on friday. Yesterday (saturday) afternoon i installed an 8gb OCW memory kit to boost up from the 4gb original setting. No apparent problems.

All was good, used the mbp all night with no issues, was working beautifully till a couple of hours ago.

I got a bad hang up, and had to hard reset. When the computer came on again, it hung up within the first 2 mins of entering lion and started making a loud beeping noise until i hard reset.

long story short, 15 mins later i had gotten the gray screen telling me to hard reset my computer 3 times in a row. I didn't think right away the problem was the ram, so i ran a disk check and apparently it found an issue, (sigh of relief).

I didn't have a boot disk for lion (i do now) so i booted up with snow leopard and tried to do a repair, but it said it was just fine... (I'm all wtf at this point, since it had just told me there was an issue and that it had to be repaired)

ok, so i restarted into lion and, bam 2 minutes in, it freezes again.

So i uninstall the 8gb and place the 4gb back in, and it hasn't frozen up since...

pretty obvious, what the culprit is, huh.

I'm looking up how to run a memory check to see if the memory is bad, but i read in some thread somewhere that some people were having issues with 8gb of ram in lion. even when the memory passed all checks.

anyone else having problems??

btw
    i got my memory from macsales, where it scanned my system and recommended this specific memory.

2. RickyB macrumors regular

There is a hidden boot disk which Lion has created. You can access this by holding down Option whilst the computer starts up. This might let you check the memory.

3. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Beeping noise is definitely a memory issue.

It very well may be that Lion is expecting a different CAS latency; radical theory, but I suppose possible. Is your RAM matching the stock RAM CAS latency?