Gray screen of death with my iMac Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sjpetry, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Hello.

Just got my new core 2 duo 1.83GHz (hurray!). I Booted it up and everything worked fine for the first two hours when suddenly while I was uploading a music CD, the display had horizontal lines appear across it. Worried, I restarted the computer but the line problem was still there. After that, I shutdown the computer and let it sit for the a few seconds and when I turned it back on the screen was gray. I restarted it again and zapped the P Ram, but this not solve the problem. The computer still functions fine (I can still control the volume and even the brightness) but all I can see is a gray screen. About 20 minutes before this problem occurred I put in a gig stick of RAM but there were no immediate problems following until the screen went gray. I replaced the gig stick with the stock, but still no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm afraid it sounds like a hardware fault. Its time you call Apple and start the wonderful pick up and repair service. :( Sorry!

3. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

4. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

The computer worked fine for 20 to 30 minutes after the new ram was installed. After the problem with the screen I replaced the factory ram and the screen issue remained. Could ram cause this issue? BTW the computer was purchased new in box.

Thanks

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It doesn't sound like a RAM problem to me at all.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you're right in that it doesn't sound like a RAM issue.

unfortunately, it seems like you got a bad apple (HAH!). ok. so. call Apple and tell them what's going on and they'll likely work out an arrangement for repair or replacement.

7. jesteraver macrumors 6502

when its grey do you see a little mac flashing with an x on it or something? if so the os got deleted from the hard drive, its happened to me before, my hdd went bonkers and just deletes the os, no clue how :confused:

8. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

It sounds like it is DOA and if so ask for a replacement not a repair. You should not have to deal with a repair when it's DOA.

9. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

No, just the gray screen.