Gray screen of death..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Aug 31, 2009.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Okay so here's the story.

Had my 13" MBP since June or whenever... a couple months.

Today, I installed Microsoft Office for Mac, the most recent iPhoto update... and Logitech Control center or w/e for my new logitech bluetooth mouse. Then I repaired permissions out of habit... and shut down the computer.

I proceeded to install a new set of 4GB of RAM (2x2GB sticks) from crucial.

Turned the computer back on... checked "about this mac" and there was 4GB of RAM. Nice.

Then, with a few applications open, I let the computer go to sleep as I left it alone for an hour or so. I come back to wake it up... do so, and then I think I turned the mouse back on, and I got the gray screen of death (not sure if the mouse was crucial to this equation or not). Anyways, so I turned the power off as the screen said and turned it back on. I still register 4GB of RAM and I repaired permissions again, and under Disk Utility I verified disk... said the volume appears to be ok.

Should I assume I am fine now?

I only worry because when I installed RAM last time on my old iBook, it wasn't in tight enough I guess, so upon a few hours of using my newly enhanced iBook, it just froze. I forget how I found out the RAM was the issue, but I did and I put it in again, however making sure it was in tight. Ever since no problems. Of note though, when it did freeze, there was no gray screen of death... so is this just a coincidence that my mac "broke" right after installing RAM? As in, is this a "loose" RAM issue or not?

I am getting a copy of SL in the mail tomorrow.. should I just go ahead and install it?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You would need to run stress tests on your RAM to determine whether it is actually any good.

It could be a bad RAM issue and not simply a "loose" issue.

Check your logs and see if you notice anything odd.

3. bryantm3 macrumors regular

run the apple hardware test from the install DVD. it's probably bad RAM. i had this problem on my 2005 iMac, but it turned out to be a bad logic board. had to get a whole new computer.

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You'd be safer running a RAM test.

I didn't know I had a bad stick (ran Tiger and Leopard just fine) until I installed Snow Leopard. It was a good thing I had a spare.