Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red disc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I have been setting up an Intel mac mini running Leopard to be a basic file server for my small business. I was doing well until I decided I wanted to change the name of the Home Folder.
I attempted this by logging in as "Root administrator" and followed an online "how to". After rebooting I now get a gray screen with the apple logo and a spinning cog. Needless to say I have missed a step!!

I have tried using the mac mini's OS X DVD to boot from by holding down the C key while rebooting but it just keeps spinning.
Any suggestions on how I can perform a clean install if the mini is not responding to Shift key or C key on boot up?

I would appreciate some help with this.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Your thread title should be changed to reflect the problem, as "Help please" is actually explicitly recommended against in the "Post a New Thread" dialogue.

Are you asking a question? Try searching first. Answers to many questions can be easily found.

Otherwise, choose a Descriptive Title:

Do not use a generic title such as "Help please" or "What to do" or "Need advice" -- be specific!

I have tried using the mac mini's OS X disc to boot from by holding down the C key while rebooting with no luck.

What happens when the DVD is inserted and you hold the "Option" key on startup?

powerhouse7

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Canberra, Australia
I'd certainly go with doing a fresh install and starting again. If it works, that seems the simplest and easiest thing to do.

I'd also suggest changing the name of this thead to something more suggestive of its content - such a generic name annoys people and you'll less people willing to help.

Red disc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Issue resolved

I have managed to get the mini to boot from the DVD today after leaving it unplugged over night and using a Mac keyboard from work (I only had Logitech keyboards at home).

Well I learnt two things from the exercise; don't mess around with the Root Directory, and use a more descriptive title when looking for assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.