Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
I have an 2011 MacBook pro 13". I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10 about a month ago or longer. I started having problems with the beach ball spinning and the computer running slowly especially with safari.

Well when I try to restart I get a gray screen with my name and after I enter my password I get a gray screen with a progress bar. It goes to half way and just stops moving. I have a cursor and earlier it did this but after thirty minutes it got me back to the computer. I earlier removed some Kodak apps for my printer that I thought was causing the slow problems.

What can I do when I get my computer back? What if it stays stuck on the gray screen. I get no messages from the computer and just a gray screen with the progress bar.

I won't go to the geniuses store since I have been the victim of identity theft not at the Apple Store but I won't give my computer to any third party person since I do my banking and so on and my taxes on my computer.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Assuming you did not install any hardware or software that triggered this, and it just started on its own, what you are describing sounds exactly like a failing hard drive.

It is less common, but those models can also have a bad hard drive cable that causes this.

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
Well I have my computer working but I am plagued by slowness and the beachballs as I type this now. Failing hard drive is bad news, but I will continue to try the remove apps and programs that I think are causing problems. It seems to be more with using safari.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I removed all kodak software and apps which I suspect may be part of the problem since I would often get messages about that software and app needing attention or updating.

Now I have to seen about a printing solution.

Does anyone have ideas on how to clean up my cache, memory, etc? Get rid of apps and programs running in the background that are not essential that may be slowing my computer down?

Thank God, I got the computer back. lol. I just want it to last through tax season. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.