Gray Screenshade of Death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lwhswolf, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lwhswolf macrumors newbie

This is a first for me. I've had a brand new Mac Pro for 2 weeks. Twice now I've been just getting started and I've gotten the gray screen shade that descends upon my monitor with the message (in 4 different languages) that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." I typically am running the same apps, so I haven't been able to isolate it that way, plus it's only happened twice. In fact, after the restart, I fired up the same apps all over again (Quicken, TurboTax, Entourage, iTunes, Safari). Here's the kicker: I used to do all of the same things 3 weeks ago on a single proc 1 GHZ G4 with only 2 GB of RAM.

Environment is as follows: OS 10.5.1 (Leopard), 4 GB RAM, (2) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any clues?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

kernel panic might be hardware/software related, really hard to say what would be the cause, and you basically can't reproduce the problem.....

3. pointycollars macrumors regular

It's called a "kernel panic", which is an error in the OS.

Usually, the OS will write a log of what happened, located in /Library/Logs/panic.log. Take a look at this log and it should give you a hint of what went wrong. It'll be mostly gibberish, but if you paste the results of that log file here in the forums, I'm sure someone could tell you what it says :)