Gray Startup Screen Freezes/Pixelated Screen Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PastorBeef, Aug 20, 2011.

1. PastorBeef, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

PastorBeef macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2010
    Hey guys,

I have a 2007 MBP, running Snow Leopard, 2.2 Ghz Intel core 2 duo, 4 GB 667 Mhz DDr 2 SDRAM.

I love this laptop - it's never given me any problems. Until recently.

The other day, I went to start it up and it froze on the gray screen with the apple logo. I had to hard-restart it. Then after a few times of that, it allowed me to log-in and operated fine for a bit. But suddenly, it did this weird thing with the screen where it looks pixelated and off-color and froze up. It wouldn't let me do anything. Attached is a picture.

Has anyone experienced this? Luckily I have a backup to get me through the week, and once I realized I may have a problem, I backed up to an External Hard Drive.

On a side note, I've noticed that my battery meter on the screen says "Replace Battery Soon", and it's only holding about 95% on a full charge.... .could this factor into it or is it something more?

What should i do?

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... - PastorBeef

Attached Files:

2. windows4ever macrumors member

Aug 14, 2011
    My guess is it's a video card or RAM issue. I've seen the same pixelated effect in external LCD screens if the sharpness adjustment is off in the monitor - but that's probably not the problem here as you said the screen froze when it happens.

To test if it's a RAM issue - try using just one ram module at a time. Then run Apple's hardware test if you are able to get it to boot again.
  3. clockwise9 macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2011
    PastorBeef did you ever get this resolved? I had the same issue about 10mins ago. Gonna try windows4ever's solution and see if it fixes my issues...
  4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    You may fall under the nVidia 8600GT recall if you have that GPU in your computer, I would check through Apple.