Grayed out screen + "Connecting" message.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrazyRussian540, Aug 9, 2009.

1. CrazyRussian540 macrumors member

Hello all. Long time macrumors reader, first time poster.

I have a 16gb 3G on AT&T and I had a weird experience today. I was surfing the web with Safari and then all of a sudden the whole screen grayed out and a "Connecting" message popped up in the middle with the 'loading' spinning thing next to it. While this happened I couldn't do anything with at all. Touching it did nothing, neither did the home or power buttons. I decided against resetting it. After about 10 minutes it went back to normal.

This is my 4th iPhone since Feb 2008 and the first time anything like this has ever happened. Anyone have any ideas what it might've been?

Edit: I just found somewhere that this happens when the iPhone connects to a WiFi network. One problem. My WiFi was turned off, and even if it were on, I highly doubt the place I was at had a WiFi signal.

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It's not what happens when you connect to a wifi network. It's more specific than that. It's the screen that appears while the iPhone is attempting to auto-connect to a wifi network, for example, an AT&T wifi hotspot at Barnes & Noble.

I've personally been to a BN recently specifically to try out this new feature and I have to say... it takes FOR-EV-ER to connect.

I have no guesses about what made yours try to do that, maybe someone started up a wifi network named attwifi or something for 2 seconds near you? I dunno. I just wanted to point out more specifically what was happening there.

3. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I've noticed this with WiFi on, when it tries to login to a WiFi-network that requires a login (not a password for the actuall wifi-connection, but to access internet through it). It sometimes "hangs" and Safari is greyed out and there's the Connecting-message. I usually just close safari and go to turn off wifi and then go back on 3G.

4. Perza macrumors newbie

That happened to my 3GS a few times a week when I was switching wifi on and off in settings. It was off when in didn't need wifi connection and when I did, I switched it on and went on browsing with Safari. I didn't matter if the network was password protected or not. Then I turned wifi on in settings, so now it's always on and that gray screen didn't occur anymore. But when I was in Bolgaria on vacation I tried to connect to some unprotected wifi spot and it did that gray screen everytime, even when I forced quit Safari and did a flight mode on/off solution which worked everytime with this problem. I guess some network and iphone connections have certain problems.