Grayscale in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by JohnnyDJunior, Oct 3, 2014.

1. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

Just wondering does this feature prolong battery life or it's just for the colorblind

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Can you please define color blind?
    I am color blind.

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It doesn't save the battery...

4. JohnnyDJunior thread starter macrumors regular

Colorblind. Can't see any color apart from black and white

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

How would removing color help color blind people when they already cannot see the color?

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It's possible that greyscale helps for certain eyesight problems, however one other use of it which might be the main one is to test how good the contrast in your apps and websites is. Poor contrast can be harder to read especially for people with eyesight problems (like colourblindness perhaps), so this is an easy way to test for that and improve the accessibility of your software.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Um...No
    Definition
    unable to distinguish certain colors,

8. JohnnyDJunior thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks fir the correction

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It actually reduces battery life slightly. It basically runs the display through a greyscale filter, and has slight negative effects on both battery and GPU performance (same with greyscale on a Mac.)

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use it in combination with the negative mode. It's not bad for the apps that don't provide a dark theme. The two finger swipe from the top to use Speech is pretty nice too.

I'm not going to reprimand you for the colorblind thing, but yeah. you kinda walked into that one. ;)

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is correct.

OP, the only reason the greyscale feature saves battery on Samsung devices (which I assume you know about and that's why you're asking) is because they use a different screen technology. Samsung uses AMOLED screens (which actually turn off the lights where it is showing black) while the iPhone uses LCD screens (where it turns the light a very dark grey to simulate black).

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Well you do have to admit colorBLIND is a pretty lousy word to describe the condition - you can't blame people for being confused. Maybe it's time to come up with a better word.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

There are forms of colorblindness where you only see black and white, get over it

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well you blind to certain variations of colors.

----------

But it's extremely rare

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or, you know, people simply being even just a tiny bit more educated.

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The language gets changed for PCrediculous reasons all the time. This would be a legitimate reason to change it. For example even though I knew human color blindness was usually just lack of red receptors, for many years I still just offhandedly assumed that dogs saw in black and white. I was surprised as heck to learn that dog color vision had blue and green receptors, just like humans!

Call it red deficient vision or something.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

And that seems about right--you looked into something and learned about it instead of just assuming something based on a personal interpretation of a single word. That's a fairly rational way for the world to work, as it usually has.