Greasy/Shiny Keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justaregularjoe, Oct 9, 2011.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Apparently, I have typed on my keyboard a few times while eating, I guess (blam(img) it on the alcohol! and or other people) and it is bugging me. Any ideas how to de-shine/degrease my keyboard's keys and trackpad?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That just kind of naturally happens. You could try a disinfecting wipe (let it dry a bit if its pretty soggy) and go to town on it.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's very normal for that to happen. My sister's unibody MacBook Pro is the same way.

4. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, sweet. Good to know that I don't appear a slob, haha. And I'll try that, lust, thanks!

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Try Radtech OmniCleanz. It's non-conductible so it is safe to use on electronics. I have used it for years to clean displays, computers, iPhones, cameras and lenses and my glasses. It leaves no residue and it does a great job.

http://www.radtech.us/products/omnicleanz.aspx

6. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Honestly... A simple wet paper towel (or washcloth, I guess?) seems to work okay for me. Naturally you don't want it TOO wet... so maybe do this while sober ;)

If that doesn't work, try the other options... but it's always worked well for me. Just takes a little doing. You probably want the machine off while you do it, though.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

For a long time I used a damp microfiber cloth and it works most of the time.

But water doesn't do a good job of removing grease or dirt on a keyboard. OmniCleanz does the job and you don't need to be concerned about shorting-out something because the liquid does not conduct electricity.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

use a eyeglasses cleaner or something with alcohol.

i have a moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover since day one on ym macbook pro and they look brand new still after 3 months of use

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Denatured alcohol will clean up your keys very nicely. It's a great inexpensive way to return them to nearly new condition.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Clean it up with denatured alcohol.

Consider a keyboard cover like an iSkin or something. Downside to the keyboard cover is it does slow your typing down.

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Rubbing alcohol works great on the keys, trackpad, and case.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

My mbp's spacebar is shiny in one place but it's also slightly worn (already!), I can see the slight depression if I pick the machine up and glance along the plane of the bar. Damn, I only got the thing in March I think.

13. sshih macrumors newbie

14. Brett0712 macrumors member

You should consider getting a keyboard cover. I've always been reluctant to purchase one as they are usually thick and slow my typing way down, but the cover from Moshi is awesome. Its made from super thin thermoplastic urethane and works VERY well. When it starts to get a little dirty I just toss it in the sink and clean it with some dish soap. Dry it off and its like new.

http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-ClearGuard-MB-Layout-99MO021901/dp/B001QKI2DA

I have a late 2008 MBP and have had this cover on it since day one and not a single one of my keys are shiny.

Assuming you can clean the keys up, I highly recommend you pick one up.