great app! can 3Gs do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grooveattack, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 2259 macrumors member

2. Surely Guest

Surely

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

well with the magnometer, the 3G S should be more than capable of augmented reality

it remains to be seen if the processor and gpu are powerful enough to handle something as advanced as this (anyone know the specs of the tegra? maybe we could compare it to the ARM used by the 3G S)

in theory, this is more than possible on the 3G S. But i have no idea how smoothly it would run

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Why not? With some very clever programming you could get something like this going.

5. Axl Rose macrumors regular

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The 3Gs is capable of much more; it has a OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics chip and a powerful processor. Plus, now that Apple has stiffer competition, they'll probably pay more attention to the specs instead of bumping 100Mhz every other revision; with multiple core ARM cortex chips in the near future, that translates to a lot more power. I can't wait for AR games, they look really cool :D.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

9. Surely Guest

Surely

How is that lame?

It's very impressive.

10. themiracle macrumors regular

yes

oh wait, the magnetometer is just a compass, right?

11. The General macrumors 601

The technology is cool, but I'm not going to stand hunched over a table moving my phone around shooting fake zombies with my cell phone when I can play Left 4 Dead on my MBP sitting at a table which is a thousand times moar awesome.

I'm also not going to carry around the grid matte for playing augmented reality games when I'm not at home.

The magnetometer has nothing to do with this. The only thing this uses is the camera. It sees a grid on a table that it can identify, then draws buildings and zombies on the grid.

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

My back would hurt so much after like 45 minutes.

13. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Your twitter looks totally lame.

14. The General macrumors 601

So would your arms from holding the phone out in front of you.

Cool. Probably shouldn't follow me then. What I don't understand, though, is that you:

1. Say your back would hurt. That's pretty lame.
    2. Get defensive and try to insult me when I say it's lame.

You're not making much sense.

15. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

16. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I would say the 3GS could do it, the video processing would be the most intensive part, but the new graphics chip should be able to handle it.

The real question is, would any company actually spend time working on this tech, and the answer is probably no. It would take a large amount of time to develop and I doubt they would get a large return. I don't think a lot of people want to walk around a table tapping their iPhone screen. Just think, for each level you need a new mat. Unless...the developer allowed you to draw your own maps on paper, that would be cool.

17. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think if a dev did take the time to do something like this he could get into the top apps and make some real money off it even if it wasn't very interesting just because people want to try it. I would pay a buck or two to see it in action.

18. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Lol no way. You see how big that "mobile device" is?

19. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I'll admit, that's pretty cool...but they've got a long way to go if they want to pull me away from my 1080p PS3/360 game.

20. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

The G1 has an app that displays geotagging on buildings if you look at them through the camera. Of course, that's less complex than making an actual game out of it, so who knows.

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0