Great Apple Store Experience -Replacement 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Jun 20, 2014.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

So, my wife dropped her iPhone 5s the other day. It was in a case, and dropped about three feet onto the ground, but when she picked it up there were vertical bars on half the screen. Also, that portion of the screen became unresponsive. There was no physical damage to the exterior of the phone. I didn't think the phone should have broke after such a light fall, I mean, we're not talking about throwing it off a sky scraper, but a little drop from hip level, with a case. Still, I went to the Apple store prepared to pay for an out of warranty replacement, since I figured they would use the fact that she dropped it as an excuse to void the warranty. However, when I went in the genius didn't even ask me any questions. After I showed him the phone, he examined it for exterior damage, checked for liquid damage, and just came out and said " let me get you a replacement", free of charge. Whole thing took about 5 minutes. Way to go Apple! I know my carrier would have tried to charge me full price for a replacement. I've never had an android or windows phone, but I wonder what those folks do if their phone breaks? I have a sneaking suspicion that it's in not as easy or as free to get replacements or service on other brands phones. Just another reason I choose apple products. :):apple:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you have Applecare+? AC+ entitles you to two ADH (Accidental Damage and Handling) incidents at a set charge (mine is $49 for the iPhone 5).

The fact that you weren't charged at all indicates to me that the Genius just "assumed" it was a screen issue and since you were smart in not saying anything about what happened he ran with the assumption. Good call!

Not entirely true. I can't speak for any other carrier other than Sprint, but three years ago my wife's HTC Touch Pro failed. We have TEP (Total Equipment Protection). Sprint replaced it free of charge (after our two year contract had already been up) with an HTC Touch Pro 2.

TEP is exactly like AC+ except that it covers theft and loss. We have it on both our iPhones so when AC+ runs out we're still covered and if our phones are ever stolen or we lose them we are covered as well. There's a deductible and we have to deal with Asurion through Sprint and that's a hassle. But it gets replaced. And TEP does not expire. As long as you continue to pay each month Sprint is obligated to repair/replace your phone for as long as you use it.

3. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

We don't have AC+, or insurance through our carrier. Yeah, I just handed it to him and let him guide the process.:D

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Like I said…smart! :D

It's always best to never volunteer any information. If you're asked, it's one thing, but why cut your own throat?

Nice! :)