Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I bought my iPhone (2G) on day 1 (iDay). I have used it and babied it for a year and a half. I didnt purchase Apple Care on it not thinking i would need it. Just the other day, i am listening to some music and go to change the playlist, click the button, slide to unlock....slide again...and I try again. Nothing, no movement. I think...oh maybe it froze. Hold home and sleep till it says slide to power off. I attempt to slide it and it does in fact slide and shuts off.

I then hit the power button to turn it back on thinking everything is fine. Get to the home screen and I still can slide to unlock. The bottom half of my screen isnt accepting input....great. 1 year 6 months of having this phone and it just quits. No warranty, no insurance. I figure i am screwed.

Reluctantly i call Apple Care support...not expecting much. Call them up and speak to a lady who listens to my problem, asks if I have Apple Care, and then says she will have to ask to see if she can schedule a repair. I figure this repair is going to cost me a fortune since its out of warranty.

After she received approval from someone, she came back on and told me how to proceed. I questioned her about the costs and she said they were shipping me a box for free and would repair/replace the phone for free! I was astonished and it was totally unexpected. Talk about great customer service.

I figured i was going to have to call my credit card company - American Express - and see if i could use the warranty program to get it covered. It is supposed to extend manufactures warranties for an additional year. Luckily i dont have to do that.

I sent my iPhone off today and hope to have it or something different back in a few days. Any chance on a 3g upgrade?? lol :) Never hurts hope!

Just wanted to share my recent Apple Care Experience.......

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Nice to see a good story on here. Always those bums who need help! jk :p ;) I have had similar experiences with Apple with products no where near its warranty period. That's Apple for you.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Not a bad turn around!

They sent me the return box Monday, got it on Tuesday and sent it back that day. Replaced and Shipped back on Wednesday, and i should have something back in my had Thursday.

Step 1 - Request
Product received by repair center (05-Nov-2008)
Step 2 - Service
Product Replaced (05-Nov-2008)
Step 3 - Return
Product shipped (05-Nov-2008)

Any chance it will be a 3g? lol
If its a 2g, what is the condition of the item they usually send back to replace your original? Mine that was sent in for repair was babied and had been in an invisible shield since day one.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Any chance it will be a 3g? lol

Unlikely. They usually keep a couple years' worth of spares.

If its a 2g, what is the condition of the item they usually send back to replace your original? Mine that was sent in for repair was babied and had been in an invisible shield since day one.

You're getting a FREE phone. It could be scratched all over and you'd still be better off than you were. :)

Or maybe it's not free. Perhaps they saw it was purchased on your AE card and that's why they replaced it.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Unlikely. They usually keep a couple years' worth of spares.

You're getting a FREE phone. It could be scratched all over and you'd still be better off than you were. :)

Or maybe it's not free. Perhaps they saw it was purchased on your AE card and that's why they replaced it.

That's what I was thinking. They are probably going to call up American Express, and show them the file.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Just got the replacement in today. It was a brand new iPhone 2G. It isnt even a refurb. It was manufactured the 42nd week of 2008. Not a minute of talk time or even a scratch or blemish. I am very impressed with apple support and how they went above and beyond to help me!

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Just got the replacement in today. It was a brand new iPhone 2G. It isnt even a refurb. It was manufactured the 42nd week of 2008. Not a minute of talk time or even a scratch or blemish. I am very impressed with apple support and how they went above and beyond to help me!

Wait... They're still making 2Gs? or was it just refurbed and had the manufacture date changed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.