Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
I've had the Apple Watch for a few months now and I have to be honest... I'm still wondering what it's good for outside of tracking my steps and activity. Can you guys please recommend some good Apple Watch Apps that'll WOW me?? Preferably things that will help me on the day to day basis?>

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
While the fitness aspect was the main point of my Apple Watch purchase, I have come to love the other features.

1. Text notificiations - allows me to read and respond to texts without pulling out my phone.

2. Calendar - Easy access to my daily schedule.

3. Timer - the onscreen complication is easy to use and allow me to keep track of soccer substitutions in-game. (I'm coaching my kids youth soccer teams).

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Text notifications is a big one for me as well. Same with being able to see who is calling at a quick glance. It lets me know if I need to dig my phone out of my pocket or figure out where I laid it down. If I can't figure it out I can just answer the call from the watch in a pinch :)

I also have come to really like the Home app for unlocking/ locking my Schlage sense lock. I don't have to carry a key and can just unlock it with my watch. Handy if my hands are full or just returning from a walk with the dogs or a bike ride.

Ditto with the Nest app for the thermostat. I like to turn it down low when I will be gone at work or away from the home for awhile.

A quick glance at my appointments for the day and what I have up next

Timer as mentioned above

Quick access to Siri when driving, walking, riding for a quick memo or reminder.

I use the Tile app, when I all too often, can't remember where I or my wife placed the keys :)

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I use news apps,maps and of course the native activity and health functions. It also works well as music/camera remote for my phone.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
My most beloved feature is always having Siri right there for adding things to my family shared shopping list.
And since i do the shopping also the reminders app for ticking of items on my shoppinglist when found and added to cart.

Stellar feature - simple but by far the best "properly working" digital shopping list.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
To know what would WOW you, we would need to know what your interests are and what you do in life. Especially to advise what may help you on a day to day basis.

I haven't really seen many app recommendations yet... I use many of the built in functions mentioned above, but if you are looking to expand Apple Watch beyond the default my hands down favorite 3rd party app is HeartWatch. This should seriously be built into every Apple Watch and if you are even remotely interested in tracking your health I cannot recommend it enough.

In a nutshell, it tracks your Heart Rate. It provides a super easy to use interface which shows you all your HR readings plus high, low and average, for your day, for your workouts, and your sleep (if you wear the watch to bed). It also tracks your steps and calories burned which provides the info in a beneficial motivational way.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well, Tile and Nest are definitely 3rd party apps. Heartwatch is also great and I like that a lot, along with Autosleep.

For pure "geek factor" I really like just because it is cool and actually works well on the watch :)

LastPass is handy on the watch at time for quick access to a password

Complete is a very good To Do list

Microsoft Translator actually works well on the watch

EatSleepRide Motorcyle GPS: Mapping and Safety

Edit: Oh almost forgot Cheat Sheet. I always forget things like parking lot codes, parking space numbers at the airport and other stuff like that.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I've had the Apple Watch for a few months now and I have to be honest... I'm still wondering what it's good for outside of tracking my steps and activity. Can you guys please recommend some good Apple Watch Apps that'll WOW me?? Preferably things that will help me on the day to day basis?>

Onefootball if you're crazy about footba .. um .. soccer. :p

But I think the watch can be much much more useful if we have some great apps about time. Like Countdown app (to minutes) with great complication, repetitive Reminders that you can set the repetition in advance, alarm app that you can configure everything to your heart desire for example.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
For shopping lists there is Capitan. You enter the shopping lists on the iPhone (which can be shared with other people), but tick off the items on the Watch.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
For shopping lists there is Capitan. You enter the shopping lists on the iPhone (which can be shared with other people), but tick off the items on the Watch.

But is'nt the build in reminders shopping list feature with siri support FAR superior to this? I think it is. Much prefer to just talk to my watch when adding something compared to having to find the app, and start selecting.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
But is'nt the build in reminders shopping list feature with siri support FAR superior to this? I think it is. Much prefer to just talk to my watch when adding something compared to having to find the app, and start selecting.
Perhaps Siri understands you well enough to totally accurate add things to the shopping list, but that's not the case for me. A few mistakes is enough to make it a hassle. Using the keyboard, it's much easier to enter items in Capitan, as it has frequent items as a list, and sorts by category. It also crosses out things while shopping.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
Perhaps Siri understands you well enough to totally accurate add things to the shopping list, but that's not the case for me. A few mistakes is enough to make it a hassle. Using the keyboard, it's much easier to enter items in Capitan, as it has frequent items as a list, and sorts by category. It also crosses out things while shopping.

Agreed. If she doesn't get it right it becomes a pain in the a**
I decided to stick with her in the beginning even though she made errors. I think that made all the difference - the software quickly adapted to my way of speaking, and I quickly became proficient in speaking and constructing the rigth sentences to Siri. Now she's 99.9% correct on all shopping entries - even when adding completely new, previously untired and obscure items.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
To know what would WOW you, we would need to know what your interests are and what you do in life. Especially to advise what may help you on a day to day basis.

well I'm a musician... any good music apps? or apps for musicians?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.