Great Article On Fanboyism - It Explains Macrumors Really Well

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I found this article very interesting, even the references that it had at the end were fascinating.

http://gizmodo.com/5555953/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty

Not this goes both ways. For everyone Apple fan that refuses to admit it has some weaknesses, there is an Andriod fan that refuses to admit that Andriod has some very glaring weaknesses as well, and there are somethings that the iPhone simply does better.

Here is a partial excerpt...

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy / fangirl. :p

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

According to the article, there's far more fanboys than fangirls. :(

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Anything gizmodo writes by now is pretty much wack!

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hell, that's nothing. Did you know that if I ask you "would you like a potato chip" science has proven that you answer and THEN your brain starts thinking?

That means your brain doesn't decide if you want it chip...it just thinks of reasons why that thing you just said was a good idea. We just THINK we decided and then spoke. But that's because our brains lie to us.

Smart-phone decisions are way, way down on the list of important choices we basically make without thinking. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

nexusoneforums.com also has a ton of fanboyism. Mac users don't have the monopoly in this department.

7. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

And I thought I was just following Macrumors to get insight into perceived product innovations so I could predict which way the stock was going to go.

I only thought I was in it for the money! Damn!

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I really go for the best product, I have some loyalty yes, but my loyalties come from products that work. I had a nightmare with netgear routers, so went with linksys, what a difference.

Both of my custom computers I built, I ended up getting Gigabyte mother boards, never had a problem with them, and they were cheaper than ASUS.

But I got an ASUS laptop, over any other brand because the offered a 1 year accidental protection plan, and usb 3.0

Western digital over seagate, because in the office I work in at least 5 Seagate drives come in dead, for ever 1 western digital drive.

Corsair is the single one brand I have a loyalty to just because my friends and others have recommended them to me. I have never had a problem with them. And I only have limited experience using different brands at work. I have never had any ram problems with any brand... so why I still get corsair? because I seem to think it's better.

Buying the iPhone to me was a no brainier, my windows 5 phone was stolen 3 months before the release of the original iPhone. And what the iPhone could do compared to the phones at the time just blew me away. And it had a vastly cheaper data plan.

The 3GS was purchased because at the time it was sill better, Android didn't even exist.

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

This is addressed to both people like my friend who is convinced that the Motorola Driod he has is superior to both my 3GS and the new iPhone.

And it's also addressed to the people here who insist that Apple can do no wrong and that there would be no advantages to a smartphone with a 4.3 inch display for things like browsing the web, reading books or watching videoes or to an energy efficent OLED display over the 3.5 inch displays used in iPhones.

10. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

And then we have Macrumors. ;)

Obviously, if you go to a site that focuses on a specific topic, the majority of people that go there all share similar interests.

At the end of the day, I like all my geeky tech toys, from my Mac Mini to my $300 Acer Windows 7 laptop that I constantly tether to my Motorola Droid (or my Nexus One or my Droid Incredible... Palm Pre Plus...and I'm probably going to buy the new iPhone *sigh*).

Choices are great. :)

11. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Macrumors is awesome. But there's plenty of fanboys here to.

The ones that insist 3.5 inches is the perfect size for web browsing, book reading and video viewing. :rolleyes:

The ones that say Flash is useless, or that said that Multitasking was unneccesary.

The ones that say Universal Voice Controls aren't worth it (but will change their opinion the second Apple implements them) for example... Here's a feature I'm surprised Apple still hasn't implemented given their purchase of Siri.

Using Voice Controls to do everything on your phone.

I should be able to say, "Open iBook Winne the Pooh" and it should open that book.

Likewise, if you say "Check my email" it should open the email app and refresh it to get the latest emails.

If I say buy iPhone App Shazam, it should take me to the App Store to the Shazam app.

I hope this finds its way into iOS 5, alongside a 4.3 inch screen for the new iPhone.

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

To what, exactly?

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Gizmodo didn't write it. An award winning journalist did.