Great branding

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cube, Jul 20, 2016.

1. cube macrumors G5

Seagate's 3TB and 4TB "Laptop HDD" are 15mm high.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's because they're not designed to go inside laptops.

I came here to lead, not to read.png

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

That is not how this branding has worked.

Any "external" logic is rubbish anyway.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You could just as well argue that 9.5mm drives don't fit a large number of ultrabooks, so to brand a 9.5mm drive as a 'laptop' drive is rubbish branding as well.

5. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Ultrabooks are crap, not the traditional meaning of laptop.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2016 ---
    This "Desktop HDD" and "Laptop HDD" bland branding has always been stupid in itself.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ultrabooks are the essence of what a laptop should be. Laptop = portable computer. The more portable and the more powerful they are, the closer they are to what a laptop should be. Unless you think MacBook Airs are crap too?

Regardless, if you want a 'traditional' meaning of a laptop, you can buy a bulky Alienware that has weight and thickness deeply resembling my '90s ThinkPad. Oh, and it'd fit a 15mm HDD. ;)

7. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Yes. All current Apple laptops are underpowered crap.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No way in a month of Sundays would you be able to hit the hardware bottleneck on a 15" rMBP. There are people who for their livelihood, mix & master music, and do professional photo/video editing on Macs, far older and less powerful.

Would I love to see Macs updated with newer hardware ASAP, and offer a little more value for money? Heck yes!

Does the fact they haven't been updated in a year make them less useful than they were when first released? Heck no!

Some food for thought... :)

[​IMG]

9. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Of course you hit the bottleneck on an MBP. The SSD is small and 4 cores are not enough (although the latter only resolved in huge "laptops").

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, I'm sure you'd regularly max the i7-4980HQ CPU found in BTO 15" rMBPs. What do you do for your job? Decompile the Matrix?

Plus I don't know if you've looked at benchmarks recently, but Intel haven't released any mobile processors more powerful than that. The i7-5950HQ has practically identical performance.

Can you name which mobile Intel processor with considerably better performance should be shipping in 15" rMBPs?

11. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Yes, I max out that sort of thing.

There should be no excessively thin laptops, that's the point. A normal one would still be 4-core.

What I would like is a 6-core Xeon laptop that weighs no more than 3.3Kg, as 5Kg for 12-core is too much. Even if it's still weak.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

But there can't be a 6-core Xeon laptop unless Intel release a 6-core Xeon mobile processor.

If what you're doing maxes out that sort of CPU, then the tradeoff of power just isn't worth portability, and there's a snowball's chance in Hell you'll have anything close to powerful enough for what you need in a portable device!

So you'd buy a mega powerful desktop instead. Probably a dual-CPU HP workstation. Unless you're constantly on the road and regularly need access to unlimited power at a moment's notice...

I dunno Cube, I'm starting to have my doubts about you being a super spy who refuses to run Windows :D

In all seriousness, what you want right now isn't feasible. If the tech is released, then Apple should put it in. If not, what can they do? I want Mac updates as much as the next man, and Apple shouldn't be charging so much for old tech, but come on... :)

13. cube thread starter macrumors G5

No need for mobile processor. There are Xeon laptops with 6 to 12 cores, but they are not very mobile.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Could you name one? Just one.

Hmm, we kinda got off the beaten track talking about 15mm laptop HDDs, didn't we :oops:

15. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Eurocom had 12-core Xeon, 5Kg, 30 minutes battery laptops for example.

But now they make lighter mobile Xeon laptops.

Any way, the biggest problem of the rMBP are not taking a 2.5" drive and the removal of ports.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Right you are! Crumbs, that is a bit of a beast. Yeah, you certainly would be hard pressed to consider that a laptop. More a desktop on wheels with a UPS. :D

[​IMG]

17. cube thread starter macrumors G5

One line is "mobile server". And yes, I would consider the battery more like an UPS.

Great if you're not walking around with them.