Great Christmas Present!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lembowski, Dec 25, 2010.

1. lembowski macrumors member

So I purchased myself a new 13.3 MBA a few weeks ago. Flew home with my fiance for christmas and my parents bought me a new 2.66 i7 15 MBP.

I have no need for 2 laptops. Not sure if I should keep the MBA or MBP? If I keep the MBA I will be taking the MBP back to Bestbuy where he purchased it at a get a new TV and keep the remaining credit until the new ipad comes out. If I keep the MBP I will sell my MBA and pay off some after Christmas bills.

To be honest both computers are more than I need. What would you guys do?

2. Paradoxeon macrumors member

This is the classic MBP or MBA question - there are a thousand more threads like this on the forum. TBH, both Macbooks are awesome. They both have their pros and vices. The problem is, there is no true BETTER or WORSE in this pair - it's what fits your needs.

MACBOOK AIR:
    O slimmer design
    O faster overall (4 GB RAM possibility + flash storage)
    O great portability
    X costly for its type
    X smaller storage

MACBOOK PRO
    O more powerful for running intense apps
    O more ports
    O optical drive
    X bulkier
    X heavier

To sum it all up, if you travel a lot (as you stated you just took a flight) and run nonintensive apps, the MBA is for you. If you do heavy-duty editing, need a powerhouse main computer, etc, go for the MBP.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Although I agree with the above poster in that both machines are very different, and which system you should keep would largely depend on YOUR NEEDs, I offer this advice with one caveat: the current MBP is approximately 9 months old. There are rumored updates to be coming in the next month or two (but with Apple, who knows if it could be longer). So in my opinion, the current MBPs are reaching the end of their product cycle, with refreshes coming sooner rather than later. Thus, if I were in your position, I would probably return the MBP to Best Buy for credit and hang on to the MBA.

If the MBA is not powerful enough for your needs, you may want to consider still returning the MBP and hanging on to the credit till the new models come out, and then buying one of the refreshed MBPs and selling your MBA at that point.

4. mariocapo macrumors member

I agree that you should opt for the Air. Unless you are a power user where you really need something that can handle the heavier tasks. The Air is more convenient and fun to use. It's lighter and smaller so if you ever use it on the couch or take it with you out of the house you appreciate the Air more than the MBP. I know you've been using the Air so you know all about the experience.

I use to have a 17 inch unibody MBP and recently bought myself an Air. I have an iMac for the heavier stuff and the bigger screen helps for photo editing and the occasional iMovie. Plus I have externals plugged into it for my large movie collection and all my RAW photos.

Basically, if you don't have a main other computer and you require storage and power then maybe you should stick with the MBP. If you do have another computer, or if you don't usually fill hard drives with info and use demanding applications, the Air is just a way better portable.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps somewhat. And Merry Christmas! That was a crazy good present, and either way I don't think you can lose!

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

hell I'd say you keep the MBA, return the MBP and get it again in April when they update them, and hopefully redesign them.

6. Ach111es macrumors regular

don't forget the fact that the MBP has more screen real estate (if you go 15) and has more battery life...you can get the "faster overall" if you pop in any old SSD, especially an OCZ, OWC, or Intel one.

7. lembowski thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to keep the MBA and take the MBP back. As I mentioned both computers are more than I need. The MBA being lighter and more portable really won out.

8. mariocapo macrumors member

Good choice! If you don't mind lemme know what TV you wind up choosing. Just curious. LOL.

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Sony TV's, expensive, are top of their class.

10. lembowski thread starter macrumors member

It will be a 50-55" LED LCD of some sort. Not sure which on yet.

11. Aboo macrumors 6502a

The Samsungs are quite good. I personally prefer Panasonic but they don't have one larger than 42" that is not 3D.

12. psirix macrumors member

+1 Samsung

13. mariocapo macrumors member

I am a big Panasonic Plasma fan. But really you can't go wrong with Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic these days it seems. And since you're not going plasma Sony and Samsungs are great choices.