Great comparison of Penryn vs Merom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueScreenX, Mar 2, 2008.

1. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

This will give you a good idea of what your getting speed/feature wise in a merom vs penryn mbp.

Includes benchmarks (real life) and feature comparsions.

This link take you directly to benchmarks
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3246&p=10

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah that was a VERY good article covering everything new (and old) about the Apple laptop refresh. Needless to say, I'm quite excited! I'll sit Montevina out and grab a new computer when they do a CPU architecture change w/ Nehalem. But wow - over 5 hours w/ wifi! And the fact that it won't burn my lap... awesome!

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Thanks for the link, but the site compares the 2.6 merom to a 2.5 penryn (2.6 vs. 2.6 would be ideal) and more importantly, they admit that they are testing the merom MBP with the 7,200 RPM hard drive, and not the penryn. I couldn't find where it said which HDD they tested the penryn MBP with, but I'm assuming the 5,200 RPM standard HDD (of course it could even be the 4,200 RPM option). That royally screws up all comparisons.

4. valvehead macrumors regular

I'd also like to see a comparison between the 2.4 Merom vs 2.4 Penryn (using non-SSE4 tests). I wouldn't be surprised if there is little difference. Intel may have improved the cache controller so that less cache is needed for the same performance.

5. skiffx macrumors 6502a