Great Customer Service w/ iMac refurb lemon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Icarus73, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Long story short:

Got a new (refurb) iMac last week. The mid-2011 27" model. Within a week and two calls to AppleCare, discovered the hard drive went bad. Wasn't part of the Seagate recall. AppleCare said since there isn't an Apple store in my city, I could go to a local Authorized Service center. I called the service center and they said they'd be happy to replace the hard drive for free under warranty with a turnaround of 3 business days.

Last minute decision, I decided the Apple store 60 miles away MIGHT have a better turn around time so I made the trip.

I get to Apple Store, and the Genius turned on the iMac which booted just fine. I started shaking my head, and said "I can't get home, have it fail, and then drive all the way back, man. You have to do something for me." He said he'd run diagnostics, so he did. First time through, it stopped on "Testing Hard Drive" and froze. He said "That's weird." and ran it again. This time it showed a hard drive error, so he says, "Let me see if i have a replacement." I'm thinking "Cool, maybe they have a hard drive in and I can get it repaired today!"

He comes out with a brand NEW boxed up 27" iMac, processes it as an exchange, hands me the new one and says "There you go, sorry about that!"

So that's how I got my new 27" iMac for the price of a refurb!

SO awesome.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

they just got a customer for life :) gotta love apple

3. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

This is why i'll never buy any computer not made by Apple. Try that with Dell, HP, etc. You'd call in, talk to people in 50 languages, spend 4 hours on the phone just to hear you need to send in warranty information or something.

4. Uabcar macrumors 6502

That's great!

It's these are the sorts of customer service stories a company can't pay enough for.

Congrats.