Great Deal on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yaccity, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Yaccity macrumors member

Yaccity

I just picked up a pretty good deal IMO

2007 iMac Aluminum 24"
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR2
    AMD Pro Graphics
    1TB 7200RPM HDD (will put in SSD)
    Apple wireless keyboard and mouse

All for $90...I think I did pretty darn well

I ordered more memory for a total of 6GB, and I have a spare SSD which I will install.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

That is my exact computer. If $90 is all its going for, I think I'll find something else to do with it, rather than sell it.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Great deal. They're in the 300$ range on eBay.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. wepiii macrumors 6502

Is it easier to swap the HDD on these or does the screen still have to come off? I might start trying to find one of these on craigslist if its an easy swap for the SSD.

Thanks!

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

On all iMacs it's major surgery to install a new HD (or SSD), it's not incredibly difficult but you do need to at the very minimum on 2007-2011 iMacs to remove the display which has multiple screws and electrical connections that all need to be disconnected before you can access the HD. Personally I wouldn't install a new HD, I'd put in a SSD. On a 2007, it's about 20-30 minutes for a experienced skilled tech, for someone that has never done it before and is using one of the many on-line guides it should take about an hour.

8. wepiii macrumors 6502

I can deal with screws... On the newer iMacs you have to remove adhesive, so I was just wondering if it was easier than that and it sounds like it is. I think one of those with an sad would make a nice computer for email/web browsing. Thank you for the reply

9. ElCani macrumors member

Bargain. Coincidentally I just got hold of a 2007 20 inch with identical specs to yours. It's my girlfriend's old work computer and was horrible to use until I put in an SSD - the transformation is remarkable! For light general use (web, office, etc) it's more than good. The computer was free and the SSD was £65, so I'm laughing. Apart from the fact that I don't actually need it as I have a 2011 27 inch already... :)

Fitting the SSD is a pretty straightforward job, BTW.