Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
BTW, got 2GBs in my 1.66 now and used Handbrake to Rip a couple movies, not at ipod but full res, 2000 avg bit rate, 48000hz 160kbps audio, averaging 55-65 fps per movie on the mini. I think one took 35 min, the other 28. The first was 2h10min running time the other 2hr3min.

That's good to know. I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM as well. Did the extra RAM increase the speed at all? I look forward to rendering video at 55-65 fps rather than 20-30 myself!

-Curt

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Curt
If you are thinking about upgrading the memory in your mini. CompUSA has PNY 667MHz DDR2 1GB memory on sale for $99 after rebate. That price looks real good compared to the other prices I've found.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
FWIW, I picked up a 1.66/SD/80G mini yesterday for $549 from the U-Village Apple Store in Seattle. It was a demo model, but was completely pristine (i guess since the minis just kinda sit there they don't get abused like the Macbooks). Came with the standard 1 year warranty just like new.

Check those back tables at your Apple Store if your CompUSA doesn't have these still. Apple doesn't keep outdated models on display, even when nothing has changed but a CPU bump.

tmp0404

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
PA
So regarding this matter, if I picked up an open box mini, it was not a display model with the following specs;

Mac mini, Intel Core Solo Processor, 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD / 24X16X24 CD-RW Combo Drive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4

and had to $449 less 20% resulting in a net cost of $359, would you guys go for it. The store manager told me all warranties are valid, etc. Also, please refresh my memory, does this mini have the built in airport card, I thought they did, but don't remember.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
So regarding this matter, if I picked up an open box mini, it was not a display model with the following specs;

Mac mini, Intel Core Solo Processor, 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD / 24X16X24 CD-RW Combo Drive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4

and had to $449 less 20% resulting in a net cost of $359, would you guys go for it. The store manager told me all warranties are valid, etc. Also, please refresh my memory, does this mini have the built in airport card, I thought they did, but don't remember.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Yes, it has built-in AirPort and Bluetooth. For $359, it's a fantastic deal (depending on your needs). I would, however, strongly recommend buying extra RAM unless you're not going to use it for anything all that taxing.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, it has built-in AirPort and Bluetooth. For $359, it's a fantastic deal (depending on your needs). I would, however, strongly recommend buying extra RAM unless you're not going to use it for anything all that taxing.

Also, there are a few sites that describe upgrading the processor to a Core 2 Duo. If you want a low cost entry into the Mac world, like I did, you should go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.