great deal on MBP craigslist (LA)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArmanSLR, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ArmanSLR macrumors member

Hey guys, I found a great deal on a used macbook pro on craigslist. Its in LA and was posted yesterday and the seller told me it is still available. I would buy this in a heart beat but i don't have any cash right now.

heres the url Craigslist

specs:
    15.4" Macbook Pro in mint condition with Applecare Warrantee until June 2008

- 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    - 120 GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400
    - 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    - AppleCare Protection Plan: warranty coverage & unlimited phone support until 6/16/2008
    - Radeon X1600 graphics card
    - Backlit keyboard
    - 15.4" matte widescreen display
    - All components: Apple Remote, AC plug, AC power
    cord, DVI to VGA adapter
    - Original box, manuals, packaging, installation disks and all documentation (receipts, specs)
    - OS X Leopard: brand new; licensed
    - Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium (full version), student licensing
    - Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac
    Local buyers and cash only, please.
    Asking $680 for this laptop

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I trust ANYTHING on craigslist about as much as i trust a car salesman...

EDIT: $680???? SCAM

do NOT attempt to buy that. it is clearly fake.

3. nikaaisha macrumors newbie

I have seen similar deals. My rule with craigslist is to proceed with caution.

edited to add: I have one good experience with craigslist with a gentleman from NC. You can find good deals on there but before going forward, I would contact the seller and ask for refs and a valid contact #. Only do Paypal only for internet deals and local meetings in public places.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

currently there's another thread on another of the macrumors forums about a similar CL ad; craigslist scam?

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Well the guy says local buyers only, so at least you can thoroughly look at it before you buy it. That's better then any ebay auction that would be shipped to you.

6. ArmanSLR thread starter macrumors member

I've bought and sold on craigslist before and since its locally I think its safer then ebay, only thing is make sure you know the people aren't crazy before they or you go to their house. It's pretty hard to scam someone when they come to your house to pick up an item.

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It is a Rev A, so it is possible.

Though the software is most likely pirated.

But hey, everyone seems to sell pirated software on their computers on Craigslist.

100 dollar computers with Windows XP Professional and Office 2007? :rolleyes:

8. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

If you do go, make sure you bring someone with you, incase it is a "crazy". I bought some stuff off of craigslist and it went well, luckly I suppose.

9. HappyMacFan macrumors newbie

It's a scam for sure. It is posted all over CL.

Do a web search on Google.

craigslist: 15.4" Macbook Pro in mint condition with Applecare Warrantee until Mar

My guess is that the poster is even in on the deal to promote the scam. I mean why would someone post this otherwise?

It just goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Unless of course you are some wacko that likes to believe in conspiracies and other wacko stuff.

In that case the internet was made just for you and no one else.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have to say i'm also a bit surprised about this post. it's clearly a scam and there are hundreds of similar offers out there. so why post this one if he's not interested himself?

EDIT: seems craigslist has removed it!

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have a feeling that CL removed it a while ago, this thread has been dead for about 2 months now.

12. HappyMacFan macrumors newbie

I sent the posts to CL and they apparently did something about it.

Now they are using another name and email address.

Every time they post one of these ads send the link to abuse@craigslist.org and complain.

13. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

ive seen so many of these.... -______-

if u email, they all have the similiar response of

"hi im from (random country) but id like to use DHL (or some other weird shipping, not that DHL is weird but i forgot)."