Great Deal on Win7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ml.sail1, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

So walmart has a sale on win7 ultimate for $274.99 and I went to best buy first to have them price match it, and they did, but then when they went back to get the physical product, they found out that they were out.

Afterwards I went to Office Depot and they had some in stock, and they price matched it as well, all I had to do was pull up the internet product page on walmart.com and on that page it said "in stock" so they didn't even bother checking with them to see if they had the item in stock.

But anyways it was an awesome deal and I walked away with Windows 7 Ultimate for $294 ish after tax

I dont know how long walmart will have this but here is the url
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Windows-7-Ultimate-Full-PC/11331573

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

How is that a great deal? Paying nearly $300 for an OS is a ripoff. And the ultimate edition is hardly better than the professional edition. You can get the professional edition OEM for less than $150.

I would return that OS if I were you if it's unopened.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i agree, even if it is a sale that's way to high of a price to pay for an os.

just go with home premium if you want to dual boot your mac. and even then the price is kinda steep.

4. ml.sail1 thread starter macrumors regular

But the thing is that I needed "XP mode" to run some legacy apps and that only runs on Professional or Ultimate, and the deal I got was cheaper than the Professional which wasn't on sale, I also needed the languages for family members, and I also wanted to be able to reinstall it should something go wrong which is why i stayed away from the OEM version.

That is why I got Windows 7 Ultimate, though I suppose if Professional had been cheaper I could have gotten away without the language packs.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your reasoning seems fine. You got Ultimate for less than Professional's list price. Decent, though not barn buster, deal.

B