Great. Dropped External Hard-Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sptz, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Sptz macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I didn't know in which section to post this, but here it goes. Basically I dropped a friend's external HDD, now it turns up, but it does a constant clicking noise, like there's something stuck... it isnt recognizable by neither mine nor his MBP, not even in Windows. So I've been looking up online about data recovery companies and they charge like 250quid MINIMUM for this kind of service... I can't for the life of me afford something like that right now.... He just wants to get his data back, doesnt care about the HDD itself...
    Is there like any DIY way to do it?!

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You've probably damaged the reading head or the platters. Think of it like a little record player in there.

When there is physical damage there is no simple cheap solution.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I managed to disassemble a HD and just pushed the the reading head in place and managed to recover most of the data from a HD i dropped once.

It's worth a try tho

4. digitalmac macrumors member

digitalmac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I had similar problem before with my hard drive and there is no cheap solution. At the end I didn't fix it but I kept my drive with me, hoping for the cost to recover it will be cheaper in the near future.