Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
So I usually don't start threads like these, but today I absolutely had to.

I am on my second iPhone and the battery has been draining faster than usual, and there have been more crashes than usual. Unfortunately I have a cracked screen (big crack with small shatters) and was told on the phone that the only thing I could do was pay $250 for a new one.

I went into the San Francisco Apple store and the genius hooked it into his mac and ran a diagnostics program. I had never seen it before and he said their store is actually testing it out. This program was great, it showed him so much info about my phone, the average battery life I have, the amount of unexpected crashes it has had, the average load time for certain applications. I couldn't believe it.

After looking at the numbers he said that it did not look like a fully functional phone so he swapped it out with a brand new one. He didn't even care about the screen because he said that even though the screen isn't covered under warranty, the screen has nothing to do with those problems.

Such a logical answer that many companies usually point at and use it as an excuse to not help.

I am now proudly using a new iPhone and have once again been convinced why Apple has so many loyal customers.

cerce

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
even better is that Apple stores also offer discounts for active duty or retired military... i saved six percent on my iMac and other purchases there...

i will shop there again very soon!

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Just another good reason for me to switch. Bought an iPhone in July, and had never used an apple product before.

I pick up my new iMac tomorrow.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I'm interested in this program. Sounds very interesting and in depth. If they are testing it, i wonder how long till its used eerywhere.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Out of curiosity, does your serial start with 5K?

Yes it does, what does that imply?

Thats awesome... I must say i have had all good experiences with the Apple stores in NY.

Now... Where can we get that program ??????????????

I asked that same question! He said it was just for store use, but hopefully it will be more widespread soon.

I told him I was very surprised at how great the phone looked (thinking it was a re-furb) and he said that they don't use re-furbs at all. He said some are re-manufactured mixing parts that can be re-used with parts that shouldn't (screens, casing, battery). He also told me that they have been doing so many returns that they have phones specifically manufactured for swaps which I found interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.