Great experience at the Apple Store tonight

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henders98, Aug 22, 2011.

1. henders98 macrumors member

Here's a little bit of background: I bought a 24" iMac in early 2009. In the last 2+ years that I've owned it, it's been repaired SEVEN times. Most of those have been major repairs (logic board, screen replacement, etc.). Well, today I noticed that my screen is suffering from burn-in problems once again. Finally fed up, I call AppleCare (thank goodness I bought that) and asked them to please replace this machine. After e-mailing them pictures of the problem, they agreed that a replacement was in order. They arranged to have me take it to my local Apple Store to do a swap.

So... I get to the Apple Store tonight and after getting all the information straight (apparently the person who agreed to do the swap was gone, so they had to examine the case files briefly), they agreed to swap the machine for a 27" i5 model. I asked if it would be possible to upgrade to an i7 model and pay the difference. They said no problem. The Genius then goes in the back and returns a few minutes later with the new computer. Then he tells me, "you're in luck, we're going to swap your machine with the i7 model at no cost to you." Wow. I was just about to hand them over $500 and then didn't have to. :)

Anyway, just wanted to share. The new machine is awesome so far, of course. Hopefully I won't have the problems I had with the old one!

2. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Wow, that's a pretty amazing deal you got yourself there :cool:

Have fun with your new 27" i7, I absolutely love mine:D

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Great story. I recently picked up an i7, it's an awesome Mac.

So, what region are you from? Is this a US based store?

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nice story and great customer service.

I can't believe you've had to repair it 7 times though. Really? I mean we always hear some unfortunate stories of bad iMacs on these forums but that takes the cake!

Anyway, glad it paid for itself in the end for you. :)

5. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

WOW!!!! AppleCare really cares. Thanks for sharing your experience.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

7. henders98 thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the Southeast US.

----------

I know. Maybe they felt sorry for me and threw me a bone.. :p

8. D4F Guest

D4F

I would say a very tasty bone :)

9. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Nice! I just had a similar experience: Apple replaced my 08 mbp with a '11 mbp and I only had to pay about 100$ for the difference.

10. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

11. Wizzykin macrumors newbie

Man - these stories are starting to worry me. 7 repairs?

I'm reading so many posts about multiple repairs, yellow tints, smudges, dirt, and fog behind the monitor, bad lots of hard drives, etc.

I'm excited about switching to an iMac, but I'm also worried I'm going to have to have it repaired 5 times before it actually works.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Wow. Took a while but in the end they sure treated you right.

More and more stories like this popping up. Way to go Apple! :apple: :) :apple:

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You must be very selective on what you read on this forum! Obviously a minority of the so-called complaints are genuine, the rest are from those who seem to delight in winging to all and sundry and complaining about the smallest insignificant things. Even if they were all completely true, they represent a minuscule percentage of the total users.

Like the vast majority of us, get your new iMac and you'll soon be wondering why you didn't buy one sooner. :)

14. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Had a similar experience in the UK; bought a 24" iMac just before the new models were released, it was faulty so Apple replaced it with a new 27" i7.
    A very happy bunny I was. :D

15. JonasDK macrumors member

Nice to hear that your story ended well :)

Like John T said, you shouldn't worry too much about it. FYI I got my iMac last week - zero problems and the screen is absolutely amazing!

16. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I sometimes wonder what goes on in the back of those apple stores :D

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Don't worry ... people do not post about their perfectly working Macs like they do about one with a problem.

Repairs are not the norm

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Always good to hear how good Apple customer service is. While we will always have bad machines in the run, more important is that Apple stands behind their products and does the right thing.

19. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Fortunately I haven't had to use AppleCare for my Macs so far but stories like this make me glad I purchased it.

20. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I think you had a good deal.
    Enjoy your new iMac 27" , I really want one!!!