Great experience with Apple.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spooky2k, Nov 9, 2008.

1. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

So, I figured that so much of this forum is full of 'Apple won't do this...Apple did this bad thing', that I'd chime in with a story in which Apple went above and beyond, reminding me why they're renound for great customer service.

About a year or so ago, my MBP (Mid-2006 model) began to freeze whilst Iwas working. I took it to Apple and they replaced the logic board. Problem solved. A few months later, the screen developed a strange issue where it would display things in a mosaic like fashion. Again, switched out the screen, problem solved. During this time they changed the battery and the AC Charger too.
    About 5 months ago, the CD/DVD drive began to act up. Fixed it again.

About a month ago, the screen developed another problem. There was light leaking through in a pattern not too dissimilar to a sideways smiley face. So everytime a high contrast image was on screen, the smiley would appear. So I took it to Regent Street and they refused to fix it, telling me it was a 'cosmetic issue'. I took it to the quieter Apple stores (Kingston) and they fixed it under warranty fine (I have Applecare btw).

I got the laptop back and noticed there was something wrong with it. They'd bent the whole bottom of the unit! Of course, they'd never admit this had happened but the paper/damage report showed that it certainly wasn't like that when it was taken off of my hands, so they took it back in and replaced the whole casing (not just bottom).

So at this point, I have a virtually new laptop. It looks new, but has older junk built up on it, so I re-installed Leopard (wiping the HDD).
    Two nights ago I was working on my laptop, and it shut off. As if someone had pulled the plug out. When I hit the start button, it would start up fine but eventually, for no reason, it shut down again.

I called Applecare yesterday and spoke to someone. He asked me what I wanted him to do for me. I asked for a working laptop. He told me that they wouldn't be repairing my laptop and transferred me a supervisor. Naturally, I began to panic. Why the hell wouldn't they be repairing it? Reasons began to fly through my mind, such as actually being unable to find cause of problem so no solution can be administered, or that they couldn't replace it because they have no refurbs right now and I'd have to wait. Being a student with a dissertation and an essay due in the next 2 weeks, I really really REALLY need a working computer at my disposal right now (I'm writing this on my girlfriend's). So, the supervisor comes on the phone and tells me the info I told the guy before, checking previous repairs. Then:

'OK. So in order to get you a working computer, we'd usually swap out the unit for one the same. But we don't have any right now.'

Panic sets in again.

'So, unfortunately, we're going to have to replace your 2006 Macbook Pro with a brand new one.'

Just to clarify I ask what he means. The new glass screen, single block of aluminium sculpted model or one from just before that.

'No, the brand new one with the black border around the screen. State of the art. So what are the specs on your current machine?'

Wow. So, I tell him, thinking they'll downgrade it to match what I have (1.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80GB HDD).

'right, so this new computer we're sending you is a little different in that it has much better specs. If you look on the web site, you'll be getting a base model brand new Macbook Pro. Is this ok?'

I check the site quickly, then my childish glee slips out with a 'well, I suppose I'll take that greatly superior model if I have to'.

The rep laughs and tells me he'll call back with details in 20 mins. Within 15 minutes he's called me back telling me what will happen, how they'll pick up my laptop and the new one will be with me by the end of the week.

He tells me at this poitn I have 6 months left on my Applecare on my current macbook pro. I ask to transfer it to the new machine. He tells me it would be pointless since I'll be getting a 1 year warranty etc with the new machine. His solution: I'll refund you the amount of time you have left, and you can take it off of the price of applecare for the new machine. again, 'is this ok?'. Definitely.

In all honesty, I expected Apple to just send me to a Genius bar again. Instead, they've gone above and beyond. Sure, I had a lot of problems, but not many companies (not ANY in my experience) would do the kind of exchange they have for me.

I'm truly in awe of the customer service I received, and am now more than happy to recommend Apple to anyone who asks. Now, I'm currently awaiting delivery of my brand new Macbook Pro :D

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Awesome! Glad everything has turned out for the better. I'm interested in why Regent Street didn't accept the screen issue where as Kingston did. I'll keep that in mind ;)

3. MacPil0T macrumors member

This is an awesome story. I love hearing great applecare stories such as this. This is why I always get applecare (I usually buy at the end of the 1 yr warranty just so that it doesn't feel like such a big hit.) Enjoy your new macbook pro! :D

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I had the same experience with my iMac. I had a 20" 2.0GHz G5 (sans iSight) model that started having SuperDrive and GPU issues with about three months of AppleCare left.

By the time my AppleCare expired, they had swapped it for a brand new 20" 2.0GHz Intel iMac (the current aluminum model), which I then upgraded to the 24" 2.8Ghz model by paying the retail price difference. Oh, and they also refunded the remaining few weeks of the AppleCare I had left on my old iMac.

That's just one more reason why I'm a loyal Apple user.

Enjoy your new MBP!

5. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

I worked at the Regent Street store for a while (left due to having to focus on degree), and can honestly say it's one of the busiest places I've ever seen. I remember I was posted up at the presentation area to help demo macs to users who were interested, but wanted to know more and be guided around a mac. I went downstairs to get a leaflet as there were non upstairs, and it took me around 2 hours to get back upstairs just because so many people did the 'quick question....' thing. (just to clarify, I have no problem with people doing that - it was a great place to work).

I'd argue that due to it being so busy, employees had less time for customers. Especially Genius Bar staff, who obviously only have a certain amount of time to serve a customer. It's not an apple store where you can argue the point. Seems as if it has to be very 'yes' or 'no' here.

At Kingston store, it's usually pretty quiet, so when it gets busy it's only for a moment or so. The difference is that people at this store have more time for you. They told me it was a cosmetic issue too. But when I explained how it was impeding my film and photography work, they instantly said they'd change it (regent street argued that it didn't matter what I did, the same policy applies to everyone).

Moral of the story: try and go to smaller, less busy stores when you can. People have more time for you. Not only that, but my laptop repairs were almost 2 - 3 weeks at Regent Street, and only around 3 or so days at Kingston (volume of customers plays into this, I believe).

Thanks for the kind words though guys. I really couldn't be happier. Trying not to get impatient about having to wiat for the laptop or pay for new displayport to DVI adapter, since well, Apple is giving me a £1400 laptop!

6. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a great feeling right? That no matter what goes wrong, they've got your back. Hell, if the current state of tech is to die after 2 and a half years, I'm happy to pay for the Applecare. It means they'd give me a new laptop every 2 or so years.

In all fairness, they're simply following trading standards etc. But still, taht's besides the point. So many companies would try and get out of, or make you tread water til your warranty is up and say 'oh, there's nothing we can do'.

I was a little pissed at Apple as my laptop kept having to go in for repair. Now, I couldn't be more impressed. Well, I could, but only if Steve Jobs came round for tea and brought it himself. For a customer service experience to be able to top itself only by doing the above, that's pretty darn good.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'm happy to hear that Apple took care of you. I had a similar experience with my PB G4 1.33 which had a few less repairs then your machine. I was upgraded to the new MBP the day of it's release. Enjoy your new notebook.

8. coolca1028 macrumors member

did you guys have to provide the receipt of purchase for the applecare refund?///

9. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope.

In other news, I want to update my story a little bit...

So I received my lovely new macbook pro and checked it over carefully as I was remving it from the box. NO scratches or scuffs. Pressed the 'on' button and a torrent of dead pixels showed up.

Needless to say, I called Applecare right away, who organised for me to go into one of the retail stores to change it. The only retail store with an appointment was 2 hours away (other side of london). So, I hopped on a train and began the journey.
    Arriving at the store, they took in the laptop and got another. It had a multitude of scratches ands cuffs, so naturally I asked for another. This new one had dead pixels.
    After disputing with the employee serving me, who would 'much rather give you your money back than open anymore macbook pros', the manager comes out and explains the situation. I explain to her that these machines would have been returned if it were me or someone else. I then tell her she is asking me to choose between two machines and figure out which defected product is more suited to my needs. She sees my point and gets another. Luckily, this last one is perfect.

So, a great experience with AppleCare turned into a nightmare experience in the Apple store. I was in the store for about an hour.

To all getting new macbook pros, check them over very carefully. 1 in 4 machines being perfect is not acceptable and Apple should be ashamed.

10. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Lucky you. Congrats. I love apple customer service. From what i have heard it is pretty good worldwide (im in Australia). I had the same type of experience with an ipod that had been replaced 5 times under warranty, broke a 6th time and got given the "we are really sorry but we are out of your model..... we have some of the higher capacity ones..... want one of them?" It is a great approach to customer service. As if you aren't going to tell your friends. Spreads a great vibe about apple. Pity that ipod is broken now :(. Well only the clickwheel so it is a great hardrive for my cars head unit :)