Great experience with AppleCare!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobiguous, Aug 23, 2014.

1. bobiguous, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

bobiguous macrumors newbie

I had a really good experience with AppleCare a week ago. I think it might be worth sharing my experience with everyone here.

In short: I recommend buying AppleCare!!! The service you get the much more than the price you pay!

My laptop:
    MacBook Pro late 2011 15-inch high end; this is my second MacBook pro
    specs: 2.4GHz Processor (no Turbo boost); 8GB 1333MHz memory (upgraded from 4GB); dedicated graphic card AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5; 750 GB HDD hard drive

Bought in Singapore; with AppleCare; used for 2.5 years

The hard disk broke 1 month ago when I was working in Derby, UK. I knew it was a hard disk problem because the hard disk had clicking sound every 3 seconds. I could also boot my laptop using an external hard drive.

I brought it to the only service centre (not official Apple Store) in Derby city centre. According to the service contract, it should be repaired in 3-5 working days. I called them after 3 working days, they told me it would take 10 days in total. Called them again after 10 days, they told me it would take 10 working days (14 days). On the last working day (a Friday), I called them, they assured me it would be ready for collection by that day.

I went there, they told me they ordered the wrong hard disk!! It would only be ready the next week because they had to order another hard disk. By saying the ‘wrong hard disk’, it means they ordered the 7200 rpm instead of 5400 rpm. So I asked them if they could tell Apple to give me the 7200 rpm hard drive instead so I could use my laptop (I had to use my laptop on that weekend and I thought I could take it back because they have assured me several times that I would).

I was offered a very lame explanation that my laptop cannot use such a powerful hard drive coz it will break other parts of my laptop. Obviously this is not true because 7200 rpm hard drive is an upgrade option when I bought it. Apparently it is because they will need to pay Apple £150 for giving the wrong unit.

I was really angry and called AppleCare in the store. A very helpful guy ‘A’ gave me two options: A. wait for the service provide to order a new hard disk and repair it; B. replace my laptop directly by AppleCare.

I chose option B. Firstly I could get a replacement for a 2.5 year laptop and I could use my laptop on an external hard disk over that weekend.

I assumed I would get a replacement of the exact model but was told I would get the latest model!

‘A’ told me AppleCare has a ‘no downgrade’ policy. Because my old laptop had a dedicated graphic card, my replacement would have a dedicated graphic card as well. The only 15-inch model with a dedicated graphic card is the high-end 15 inch retina model.

The standard specs for this model is: 2.3GHz i7 (Turbo boost to 3.5GHz); 16 GB 1600MHz memory; 512 GB SSD; dedicated graphic card GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory

However, due to this ‘no downgrade policy’, the CPU will be 2.6GHz (Turbo boost to 3.8GHz), faster than my current 2.4GHz, though without Turbo boost technology; and the hard disk would be 1TB SSD (though from HDD to SSD is already an upgrade….), larger than my current 750 GB HDD

I told ‘A’ I was already very happy and I am happy to have a 512GB SSD instead because it is alright an upgrade from HDD to SSD and it costs £400 to upgrade from 512GB to 1TB according to Apple website. However, ‘A’ said he was more than happy to give me 1TB SSD because of the ‘no downgrade policy’.

This was something I didn’t expect from AppleCare! I thought a replacement would just mean a replacement. But this was completely an upgrade!

Something I did not expect after that was that Apple refreshed the product line when my replacement unit was assembled (It has to be customised). The replacement unit I received is the latest model (mid 2014!)!

It would have cost me £2549 if I was to buy it.

Also, because the new laptop does not have a DVD drive, 'A' even offered to give me a free superdrive. But I declined offer coz I've already benefited too much...He also offered to refund the rest of my AppleCare plan, but I didn't take it either.

AppleCare covers everything. They honour the commitments, take the responsibilities, and deliver the best service!

I really appreciate the help by ‘A’ and the service provided by AppleCare.

Timeline:
    11 Jul: sent to Derby service centre
    21 Jul: service centre checked my unit and ordered new hard disk
    23 Jul: hard disk arrived at service centre
    25 Jul: service centre promised it would be ready by this day; found out they ordered the wrong hard disk; I called AppleCare
    28 Jul: ‘A’ provided the specs of the replacement unit
    30 Jul: courier service contacted me to arrange collection (Apple needs to collect the old unit)
    31 Jul: old unit collected by courier
    8 Aug: replacement unit shipped from depot in Shanghai
    13 Aug: Received the unit

This was not the first time I experienced excellent service provided by AppleCare. The first time was with my first MacBook Pro. I dropped it on the floor half a year after I bought it. I had to change the motherboard and the case. Obviously accidental damage was not covered by AppleCare.

The quote was 2400 Singapore Dollars (=1200 pounds). I was still doing my high school and could not afford it. Apple kindly agreed to give me an 'exemption' and waived the charge for the motherboard. I paid 500 Singapore Dollars in the end.

I will still buy AppleCare for the replaced unit. It is worth the money!

Thanks Apple for the excellent service!

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Wow thats very promising. I bought something similar for my Mac and hope it pays for itself in case I have a problem with my laptop.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Cool story :)

Glad to hear another awesome customer service from Apple Care! My past experience with authorized repair center was terrible, how did you contact Apple when your laptop is not with them? Did you go to an Apple Store or called them?

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That's great story, I am glad I got an AppleCare! :apple:

5. apfelmann macrumors 6502

sounds too good to be true, but why invent such a story? so must be true ;-)

6. bobiguous thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked the service centre for the AppleCare phone number (which I can also find online). I described the situation to AppleCare. They contacted the store directly to confirm the case and took over the responsibilities.

----------

Haha. It is true. Just happened a week ago! (I would definitely share a bad experience as well if it was terrible...)

7. littlepud macrumors regular

Good that you got a new machine before the dGPU in the old one died.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I mean no offense, but this sounds too good to be true.

9. HBP macrumors member

Same thing happened to me. Base Late-2011 MBP replaced with higher end mid-2014 rMBP. No 1TB and processor upgrade for me though (had a 2.2 and 500gb hdd in the 2011). Was about 2 years and 4 months into my Applecare.

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

That's awesome!

11. anarti macrumors regular

Man, you're lucky. You could have easily had your HDD replaced by yourself (5 minutes job), but if you were done it, you would never had a new retina:)