Great Experience with PC World

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleCallum, May 28, 2010.

1. AppleCallum macrumors member

I went down to my local PC World at Junction 9 where they were more than excellent this morning!

I was first in line at 6:30 and there was about 15 of us in total. They supplied us with coffee and the staff came out and had a chat with us - was all very good!

The PC World team actually have exceeded themselves today!

They all clapped when we went in, like at Apple and the local press were out taking pictures!

Well Done PC World!

2. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

I think my brain has just melted reading that headline.. ;)

Seriously though, fair play to PC World for that.

3. jpow112 macrumors member

PC World Sheffield

Went at 7.30 - 3rd in line, by 8am about 10 waiting.

I believe they had about 50 units.

No probs - quick service. Only fly in the ointment for some was that they were restricting to 1 each.

4. theiphoner macrumors member

theiphoner

Another PC world success story, just back from the store, picked up a 16gb wifi iPad no problem, no queue's and still got plently in stock of all models. they even had a couple of Apple staff on hand. Excellent.

5. rammy macrumors member

I too had a great (!) experience at PC World this morning.

After being told which stores would have stock by a customer services lady yesterday evening I pitched up at the Guildford store at around 7:30. There were something like 8 people in line and by 7:45 it was nearer 18ish.

At around 7:50 one of the sales staff (I assume the manager) came out to take our orders and by 8:20ish I was walking out of the store with a 32GB WIFI model.

They had plenty of stock.

Happy days!

6. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

My dad decided just last night to buy and ipad after seeing mine so I suggested he go to pcworld as I thought there wouldn't be as many desperadoes as there would be at the apple store.

He got there at 8am and was first in line. The store guy came out and gave him a number even though there was no one else there LOL.

Apparently they gave him coffee and clapped as he walked in. I'm glad I wasn't with him. It would have been way too embarrassing with nobody else there.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

LOL

That must have been fun. PCWorld staff are brain dead from my experiences.

Clapping when you went it is just wrong. It's like they're taking the p**s.

8. PR. macrumors member

PR.

I went in to our local PC World after work. Was having a look at the all in one printers when I was pounced.

Asked if they had the new iPad was told I could pre-order one for when it comes out... :rolleyes: I pointed out it was already out so he went off to check with the manager. Came back a few minutes later to say they didn't have any as they had all gone to the Milton Keynes PC World store, that would be the Milton Keynes with an Apple Store, instead of the town with no computer shops. :(

Contemplating a trip to MK...

9. chaslam macrumors regular

I worked in pc world for 3 years, and to be fair, it does depend on what store you go to, but people really do try. Luckily, I know what I'm talking about and was always respected by my colleagues, managers and customers, but at the end of the day what do they expect. They are making virtually no money on each laptop they sell, and they are employing people on near minimum wage. As long as your knowledge is more then the customers, which it is 90 percent of the time, then your fine.

Anyway, I guess they wanted to give the genuine apple experience like what they also do in every apple store across the country. But I would agree, very intimidating especially when your the only one in line!

10. st9046 macrumors newbie

I went into PC World in Telford today to check out the iPads and the staff were friendly and helpful. No hard sell or anything ; very relaxed. Then again, I didn't buy one. Still torturing myself with the should I/shouldn't I debate...:(

11. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Is that how it works? They don't need to know enough then, just more than the ignorant customer.

12. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Kindof like Best Buy or Comcast here in the U.S.

13. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will realise that there is a difference between UK and the US. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the US but the whole clapping and 'Have a nice day' thing does not seem to work here. We are far too reserved!

14. AppleCallum thread starter macrumors member

I've got to say I actually enjoyed it after sitting outside for 90 minutes!

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I think if they'd clapped when I walked in, I'd walk straight back out again. :rolleyes:

16. chaslam macrumors regular

In a nutshell, yes. I'm not calling customers ignorant, because they're not. People don't want to come in and someone is giving you a load of technical jargon that you don't understand. They want you to keep it simple, because a lot of people are still buying their first or second computer. People don't want to come in and be made to feel stupid because they have some computer technician speaking a load of jargon they don't understand. The staff know enough, that's it. Pcw has never been the type of shop where you expect computer technicians to go in and ask for advice. It's the type of place people who are about to buy a computer. Believe it or not, there are actually a lot of returning customers who rely on pcw for impartial advice on various different things. You rarely get a customer who comes in wanting advice on PSUs or motherboards, so why have anshop full of staff who know exactly how they work inside out?

I can appreciate that you may have an opinion about pcw, and I did aswell before working there, but after 3 years I can honestly say I don't have that opinion anymore, and a lot of the staff are very competent and really do focus on the customer. Having said that, that was my store, not sure how it is anywhere else :)