Great Experience with VMware Fusion and Quicken Premier

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Star4Ever, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Star4Ever macrumors newbie

After moving to my new iMac 27" i7, (8GB system memory) and using it for a few weeks, I decided that I needed to somehow get two of my favorite financial software applications running on the iMac. I tried many Mac financial software applications but they were lacking in key areas. So I needed to run a virtualized Windows XP on my iMac. I did not want to dual boot but rather run the applications (or something close to it).

So to virtualize Windows, I chose VMware Fusion 3.1 and Windows XP Professional.

I purchased a new VMware Fusion kit and a retail Windows XP kit with activation key (hard to find but available). I did not go the Windows 7 route as I have not ever used it and did not want to have the learning curve of that as well.

The Install of VMware Fusion was simple. The only deviation I chose was to inform it to use 2 of my 4 CPUs and to use 1GB of memory vs 512K.

Other than that it was a very straight forward install. I used the "keep them separate" option as I was not really going to do any iMac to Windows sharing of data and files.

After the VMware fusion install, (about 18 minutes), I installed the Windows XP and then activated it with the product key.

That took about 40 minutes in total aprox.

I activated the McAffee anti virus package that come with Fusion free of charge for 1 year as well.

The installation of Quicken and Fund Manager (a shareware Mutual Fund and Stock tracking software) went totally perfectly. I restored my Quicken and Fund Manager backups from a thumb drive.

They work perfectly. Actually look better on the iMac than my old PC.

Also with VMware Fusion, the time it takes to start Fusion and get into Windows (boot) is 33 seconds and some of that time is me entering in my password.

Windows XP blazes. All of the stock and fund updates work perfectly from both software packages. Both software packages even went out and updated themselves with current patches as they should. Amazing!

I could not be more delighted. When I am finished using the two programs I just shut down Windows and Quit Fusion and it is out of the way and not robbing the iMac of any processing cycles. Fusion, Windows and the applications are taking up 5.55 GB of hard disk space (the .VMWAREVM file size). Fusion manifests itself as an application in the Apps folder on the Dock ans well as a tiny icon in the upper apple bar near the date and time.

Just thought I would post this information here for all, as Fusion works as advertised.

Kudos to VMware and Apple.

Thanks and if you need any more info on this, please post questions and I will do my best to answer them. I am not really that technical but will do my best.

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

Some tips for you.

I'd uninstall the McAffee AV and install MS Security Essentials instead. Of course you could wait for the year to be up, too. I just wouldn't recommend using McAffee and paying for it.

You can suspend the VM instead of shutting down. Then you can restart it without waiting for it to reboot even faster.

You can use the seamless mode (I forget exactly what it is called) to put the Quicken program directly on your iMac desktop instead of inside the Fusion windows if you want. You can also put the Quicken program on your dock, and when you click it the VM will start up first then load your program. It'll almost look like you're using a Mac application if you use the seamless desktop mode, too.