Great Fixing and Modifying Stories

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by monkey86, Sep 3, 2009.

1. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

I do alot of work with broken macs, was wondering if anyone here has any good stories of macs they have gotten free or cheap and fixed up to working condition.

Here's my latest one!

15.4" PowerBook G4 1.0Ghz -

[​IMG]

A friend of mine came into work and told me that she had dropped her laptop and that the screen was dark - but that if she looked at it she thought that she could see something faintly.

i took it home and left it for a while (at the time i was working on the 12" powerbook - HDD replacement and Logo mod.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at one point the 15" was a shelf for my freeview box haha!

i got a few quotes for replacement lcds third party, apple offered the LCD and labour for £480 and the LCD NO labour for £520! insane.

this was after I'd gotten quotes for inverters to power the backlight. i took the laptop apart and lo and behold the backlight was gone! tiny bits of glass were sitting in the back of the screen cover - I sent the specs of the laptop to my uncle and he got a dell backlight and installed it and there were literally no problems with the rest of the computer :D

while the top lid was off the 15" i put a small black square (black opaque lighting gel from the stage lights at work) in as a logo mod.

I recently sold it for £270, time well spent!

So, anyone else have any good stories/experiences about fixing up macs can be laptops or desktops - preferably with pics!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I once fixed my friend's windows laptop (yes I know, a PC).

Screen was completely dark, and no response whatsoever when pressing power. They were totally lost, really.

Then (without any hesitation) I plugged the power adaptor in and it started first time! I informed them of my diagnosis of 'let the battery run flat syndrome'. They were so grateful.

True story.

3. monkey86 thread starter macrumors 6502

monkey86

lol :p ive done the same thing with mobile phones - your battries dead... problem solved!