Great Genius Bar Experience!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by appleguy123, Sep 13, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I purchased a 256/i5/13 MacBook Air with the 20% off Kindle coupon from Amazon. I waited for more than a month for the computer to arrive, and when it did, it wouldn't charge! I tried everything, I used a different outlet, and even a different charger, still wouldn't charge. Lastly, I took a watt meter to included plug and found that it was well within spec. I called AppleCare, and told them of these efforts. They tried to make me an appointment at the Genius Bar, but they were all filled for that day, and I was told to go to retail store and see if I could be fit into the Geniuses' schedule.

When I got to the store, there was an appointment in 5 minutes that had just been cancelled. So I waited for that time, and saw a Genius. I am in there for most iDevice launches, and somehow he knew me by name!

Anyways, I should have just returned it to Amazon, but it was backordered for a month. So I was desperate. Apple does not normally except retailer's merchandise for replacements, or at least that's what the internet told me.

I was really polite to the genius and told him of my issues, and Amazon's backorder, and even of the deal I got. He said that he 'really didn't feel right' about sending me on my way with a one hour old broken computer. He went to the back, and accidentally pulled out an 11" computer and opened to box. He realized that mine was a 13" and went to the back again.

This time he came back with a 256/i7/13" and gave it to me! I ended up with a near 35% savings on this computer.

Sorry for the blog post, but I just wanted to add a positive story to the MacBook Air forum.

Tl;DR Apple Support is awesome, but you already knew that.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Awesome!!! I love Apple for these kinds of story's.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That is a cheap way to get a customer for life. Apple is smart. Good for them and you! Congrats!

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

They've already had me for awhile. :D

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Does it have a Samsung SSD and screen? ;) jk. You are a lucky guy, congrats. Apple won me over thanks to their customer service two years ago.

6. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Great story. Yah, what kind of screen and sad does it have? :D

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

8. litchblade macrumors member

Lucky :)

Do you think he gave the i7 to you because he didn't know what he was doing? Or do you think he just wanted to say sorry to all that and that he was allowed to give you the i7?

9. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's great service. That type of stuff usually only occurs when an attractive woman is the customer.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Maybe the store was out of i5/256. Obviously they can't hand over an i5/128.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

I didn't get a free upgrade, but had a similar experience last year when I purchased a 13" MacBook Air from MacMall. Within a day, it had a logic board issue (it would routinely freeze when waking from sleep). The Apple Store exchanged it for one of theirs in stock, and provided me an updated receipt that reset my warranty to the date of the exchange.

12. minnus macrumors 6502

Where do people get these magical experiences from? lol, I brought in mine due to a noticeable screen defect, and my only options were to exchange it via amazon or get a replacement screen through apple which would take 2-5 days.

I opted for the amazon route since it would suck to have my new laptop altered. I spoke with an Amazon rep Sunday (right after I spoke with the Genius Bar), sent my MBA in Monday, and I am due to receive the new one today (Wednesday). I'm pretty sure Amazon won this round with a 3 day turn around.

13. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

They had me at "iPhone". :D

14. DieterRams macrumors regular

Wondering this too. In any case, you are one lucky SOB :) 35% discount off a brand new MBA. Meanwhile, I just paid full price (well, student discount but still).

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is one example of what can be done by charging premium pricing for Apple computers and other products.

It allows Apple the latitude to give things away as needed for goodwill.

Operating on very slim margins the PC manufacturers do not have this ability.

16. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

You should read How to Win Friends and Influence People. I was always the guy who got exactly what the rules specified, I found out that I was approaching the issue wrong.
    Let The Geniuses know that you are appreciative of them, and not that they owe you a replacement because of your experience.
    I've found that I've been treated better almost unilaterally by companies since using this approach.

17. minnus macrumors 6502

Thanks! I think I'll put that onto my to-read list.

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

They had me at iPod, but my first iPhone was what sealed the deal for me.
    Samsung/LG. Display looks fine to me. Text is a little fuzzy.

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Don't get too crazy about it. The LG display is excellent. Don't know where the Samsung is better theory started from anyway, Anandtech has debunked it.

20. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Yes they did. Besides in a year or two I can see Apple not using anything from Samsung since they are in soo many lawsuits. The iPhone 4 screen is made by LG. We all know how great that looks. :)

21. minnus macrumors 6502

I'm glad I'm not crazy. My first display was a Samsung - I returned due to build quality and Amazon discount. My Amazon laptop was a LG - which I immediately noticed (before I checked the display), that it felt fuzzy. I got my replacement today (the LG had backlighting issues as well), and it is a Samsung. I immediately noticed that it didn't feel as fuzzy.

I use the word feel, because when I stare it down, it becomes indistinguishable.

22. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I agree that the LG does feel a little fuzzy.