Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Well today I was watching a video and wanted to turn the brightness down, so I push the F1 key to turn down the brightness but nothing happens. So thinking it was just a weird glitch I restart my ibook and try again. Same problem so I push really hard and nothing. So out of frustration I start vigorously tapping the key and now it works. So is this something to worry about or just forget about it?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Laser47 said:
Well today I was watching a video and wanted to turn the brightness down, so I push the F1 key to turn down the brightness but nothing happens. So thinking it was just a weird glitch I restart my ibook and try again. Same problem so I push really hard and nothing. So out of frustration I start vigorously tapping the key and now it works. So is this something to worry about or just forget about it?

Maybe something just got stuck under it & all the jabbing dislodged it.

I know that sometimes I drop crumbs of breakfast into my work laptop :)o , but as it's a paving slab sized Compaq I'm probably not as careful as I could be)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Kernow said:
Maybe something just got stuck under it & all the jabbing dislodged it.

I know that sometimes I drop crumbs of breakfast into my work laptop :)o , but as it's a paving slab sized Compaq I'm probably not as careful as I could be)
I never thought of that, that might be what happened. It works now I was just getting a little paranoid. Anyways if the problem comes back I can always call apple and have them send me a new one.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Well it stopped working again, and no amount of pushing the key will activate it so im going to call apple but I have one last question. I bought my ibook in september and the 90 day phone support is already over but my computer is still under warranty. Does that mean that I will have to pay a fee when I call apple about my keyboard?

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
F the F1 key and use F2 instend Aren't these just assignable key anyway ( they have no spefcic use other than short cuts)?

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
macmanmatty said:
F the F1 key and use F2 instend Aren't these just assignable key anyway ( they have no spefcic use other than short cuts)?
AFAIK you cant change the key for brightness, eject, volume, etc. Also the key has a brightness picture on it so I would prefer if it worked.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I wonder if there is a larger problem with iBook keyboards. My niece purchased a new 12" iBook just before Xmas and has been having problems with the 'D' key not working. I spoke to her (she's only 11) and she said it didn't work right a couple of weeks back but started working again. Now it seems to be completely dead. Pretty frustrating to have to deal with something like that (repairing or exchanging) on a new piece of equipment. She's VERY careful with it since she saved up and paid for it herself and it never really leaves her house so I'm pretty sure it has not been mistreated in any way.

My only experience with Apple laptops is my old G3 PB which I carried with me when I traveled for work and I've never had a keyboard problem of any kind with it.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Well just as an update I managed to fix it by removing the key, then the bracket that holds the key. Then I cleaned the membrane and the switch thing with rubbing alcohol and it seams to work now.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
My PB occasionally loses use of all the Function Keys.
Usually when I really need them!

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I know I have had issues out of my 12" PB keyboard where half the keys have went dead. I called apple with the problem and they recommended that I reset the NVRam and PRam. I did that and all the keys started working again. Since then I've had the issue happen one more time. Reseting the system seemed to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.