Great News For The Under 45 Crowd!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 5, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The FDA finally approved the cervical cancer/penile cancer/genital warts vaccine for women and men up to the age of 45! This a an actual anti-cancer vaccine that could very well save your life, or the life of someone you know and love. While I'm too old, (and am HPV free) I did make sure that both of my kids (M & F) received the vaccine when they were old enough. If you're in the age range, and sexually active, it is certainly a good idea to get it. The life you save could be your own.

https://www.wthr.com/article/fda-expands-use-cervical-cancer-vaccine-age-45-1

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Yep, so far. The good news there, though is that if you've managed to avoid HPV viruses so far, and are in a monogamous relationship or practice serious safe sex, you're probably going to be safe. But if you're in the age range to get it, or know someone who is, then get it or urge them to. Any vaccine that aids in avoiding cancers is worth having!

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

It seems odd to have a cutoff like that, unless it is simply applying a limited budget where it is the most helpful.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

It could be. It could also be that the researchers found no good effect beyond a certain age or that they have yet to determine the benefit, if any, beyond that age. I'm willing to bet that, from an actuarial point the view might well be that the over 45's are seen as a group that, if they are not already infected by HPV are unlikely to be infected given behaviour and already being in monogamous (uninfected) relationships. That's a guess on my part, but it works for me. I'm willing to bet that the researchers are probably looking into, though just to possibly pad the bottom line.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Or maybe for the over 45 crowd it's so likely we'll come down with something anyway, it doesn't matter.

7. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Good that this is being done. I lost a good friend to cervical cancer early this year. Nobody should go through that if it can be prevented.