Great phone, but time to move on :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pudcraft, Oct 10, 2015.

1. pudcraft macrumors regular

I purchased the iPhone 6s Plus, after being on a Nexus 6 for about 8 months. The iPhone 6s Plus is an incredible phone. It truly is. The camera is great, the weight is great, love what Apple is doing with 3D touch and more.

However, I have found that the move away from comfort and ergonomic have turned me off. After holding different devices, like the Moto X Pure, I realized that Apple has turned away from comfort in hand to going as thin and challenge engineering even further. Even my Apple business rep was amazed how far more comfortable the curved back phone was to hold and use with one hand, compared to the 6s Plus.

I will always love using multiple Operating Systems, being a UX/UI designer, and I have come to really appreciate iOS and Android. I do, however, love what Google has done with Android and Google Now. It is extremely intuitive and I only hope to see Siri catch up and maybe exceed it come iPhone 7.

Something about Apple just doesn't feel the same anymore. Watching the past years develop and even just now watching Microsoft do their announcement. Microsoft has done some really exciting things for the future and watching their new device announcement reminded me how I felt back in 2008-2010 with Apple. I guess I had hoped Apple would have done what Microsoft did last week, in September.

Lastly, cost. Apple has done some great hardware engineering, but the cost of devices (cell phone, not getting into computers) are far and dear. Where some great devices are arriving in the $400-$600 range with quite the capabilities, bigger batteries and tempting new boundaries. Apple still pushes the same 16gb phones, knowing that users will have to choose 64gb based on iCloud backup data alone. We are in 2015 where Apps can challenge that of 500mb-1gb of storage alone. I guess it's hard to justify the $700-$1000 price for some features and operating system. Engineering, they did great, but in my opinion, their manufacturing practices and end result don't warrant the extra $300 over other devices.

I miss Apple and really wanted to like what they were doing, but this year it just didn't work for me. I hope to be back in 2016 and they challenge and introduce exciting products that get the crowd worked up again. That or I have just become numb to the same, "this is the best Apple iPhone yet" marketing hoopla.

Btw - I still love this community :)

[ %EndRant% ]

2. I7guy macrumors G5

I played with the note 5, and Galaxy 6 and 6 edge and they are far worse than the iphone 6s and 6s+. But I understand what you are saying. I bought a nice grippy, good looking case for my 6S and I called it a day.

3. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

4. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using a Moto X Pure at the moment and pre-ordered a Nexus 6p. Looking forward to testing the device out. Love quick charge tech on these phones.

I'm no fan of Samsung with their TouchShiz. I prefer a more 'pure' android experience much like pure IOS if that makes any sense.

5. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Make sense. But the nexus 6p is going to have some heat issue, every version of the S810 is bad man. You'll probably end up staying with the Moto X or go back to the nexus 6.

6. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i'm aware. I don't use my phone in a way that will cause any sort of intense heating, but hopefully the 810 v2 is better, with 6.0, and the metal body of the 6p to minimize heat.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Using what works for you is the best thing to do. But only the market will prove or disprove your opinion.

Only time will tell if you are prescient or just an outlier.