Great Results With SSD + 2.0 Ghz white Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slughead, Jun 22, 2012.

1. slughead, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I just got a Mushkin 240gb SSD for my White macbook. Previously I had a 320GB 5400RPM WD.

For anyone on the fence about this, for ~$200 (newegg.com) it was totally worth it. Boot time is cut by at least 20% (more like 50), Apps launch faster, web browsing is improved and battery life is about 20-30 minutes longer (that's a lot on these old machines lol!)

I also got a new ~$60 battery from batteryedge.com (I had bad luck with an Amazon.com cheapie previously, and the original battery blew up).

I really feel this breathed new life into this oldish machine. The best part is I bought a $7 USB-powered all-metal screwless enclosure for my 320gb platter so I can use that as sleek external storage / time machine. I also maxed out the RAM (4GB isn't much though :( ).

TL: DR; I'd highly recommend upgrading the HD to SSD if you have one of these machines. Buy a good SSD and if it doesn't work out, you can always throw it in another mac if you have one or use it in a new Macbook in lieu of paying Apple's outrageous HD tax.

2. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I did the same thing on my late 07 macbook last night. Picked up a 120GB Kingston for $80 after rebate. Everything feels snappier :D

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Did the same with my 2007 2.2GHz white macbook (ocz 60 agility 3)..i did find one minor quirk (when i imaged using carbon copy snowleopard to drive i would get the know ssd stalling every now and then...however after reading about ssd issues,i did a clean erase using zeroing hd and then clean snowleopard install...and now ive never had any lag issues ect)

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Where did you get that from? I've been looking at Crucial drives for around $120 for the 128GB model but $80 for 120GB is a great deal.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I'm aware but as I need money for rent and having a dying HDD I need something relatively cheap. What I'm more afraid of than build quality is getting one with a bad controller and having it not work with my mac.

From that site you posted though, this SSD does seem pretty good for the price. Do you have experience with OCZ drives?

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

This is the one i have...on sale after rebate for $48

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=61050&vpn=AGT3-25SAT3-60G&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1048

came with latest firmware,and so far so good....(as i said above...rec you do clean install and erase with zeroing (option) hd first...can't rem site i read that said helps,but it did make difference for me (compared to simply carbon copy image over to new drive)

if you want the most reliable ssd out there..get a intel 520 drive...but $196

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67710&vpn=SSDSC2CW120A310&manufacture=Intel

8. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Buy.com, the rebate is over and it's $119 now. I paid $99 plus I get $20 back with the mail in rebate. Seems like it didn't last long.

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-ssdnow-v-200-120gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/229097803.html

----------

Is anybody else running trim enabler? Is this something that has to run all the time or does it alter something and that it?

9. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I have a white macbook, I bought refurbished in 2010 and I too am looking at putting an SSD in. I have 8gigs of ram in my machine and it does run really good with lion, but I would love to have the benefit of an SSD. Looking at an OCZ agility 120Gb drive. That will hold me over till I hopefully get a MBA next year:D .

Seems to get good review by mac users, next paycheck can't come soon enough!

10. berone macrumors member

My wife has a white MacBook (early 2008) that I'm also looking to upgrade. That's a SATA I, so it's running at 1.5. For my machine I'm looking at a 3g drive so I can take advantage of the full speed of the SATA II. For hers, will the SATA I run at full 1.5 speed with the 6g drive?

Thanks,
    Anthony

11. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

very dumb question -but how does one do a "clean" install. It sounds like a clean install is the way to go, but I'm confused about this. I run lion and was just going to use carboncopy, but all the things I read say a clean install is a little better.

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

read this..will show you how to download osx lion and either make usb stick or dvd of which can then be used to do a clean install

http://mashable.com/2011/07/20/lion-clean-install-guide/

13. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

thank you - very informative to say the least, looks like I have some work to do.