Great review of the Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c:\windows, Mar 16, 2008.

1. c:\windows macrumors member

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Splendid review. My only concern is the listing of a lack of FireWire 3200 as a con.

What in the world is going on?! Does anything have FireWire 3200 yet?! Does anyone make anything that USES it yet?!

Seriously, by the time FireWire 3200 shows up in use, the current Mac Pro will be at least a revision behind. It'll wind up not being compatible for some reason, as well... :D;)

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Well, nobody's going to ship any FW3200 devices until someone ships a FW3200 computer to use them with. It has to start somewhere, and Apple really has to take the lead with FireWire, since nobody else will.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think apple should implement firewire 3200.. it should just be a simple firmware upgrade.....it uses the same interface

6. ralfi80 macrumors newbie

hello together,

thank you for the link! fantastic review, answers lots of questions concerning memory and hd upgrades, but...

...the firmware upgrade of the ATI 2600 is responsible for an increase of 22 watts in power consumption :confused: is that really true? I don´t know how to check since I have already made the upgrade.

has anybody an idea what could have happened there :confused:

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

8. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I'm surprised that nobody is upset about the superdrive's performance - and there has been no discussion about the firmware hack...

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What firmware hack is that?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

To let SuperDrives work with DVD-RAM disks when their installed firmware says they cannot.

11. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

What is referred to in the review as "Liggy's Firmware": http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/

It does more than allow the drive to read DVDRAM - it greatly speads up the drives ability to read DVDs....

12. MacMyDay macrumors regular

Just ordered a 2.8GHz, 16GB, 300GB 15,000 rpm SAS HD for a member of staff. Those results look great.

Can't wait to try it out (when he's not around - damnit!).

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

You got the RAID card also, I hope?

14. MacMyDay macrumors regular

Yep. Apple won't let you place the order otherwise.

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

i would strongly consider NOT doing this hack unless you also go out and buy the pioneer drive mentioned in the review (115D, i think) to put in the other drive bay...the reason is that the optiarc is the loudest freaking thing this side of a jet engine if you speed it up. I think apple slowed it down on purpose because it was SO loud at full speed. It sounds like a G5 in panic mode when all 10 of the fans rev up to full speed...ok, well maybe not that loud, but it's comparable...all you have to do is put a disc in and let it spin up, and unless you're wearing noise-canceling headphones, any video or music that is supposed to be audible will be overpowered by the drive spin sound.

you'll find yourself burning dvds to your hard drive and ejecting the disc, then playing back from the hard drive and when done deleting the movie file for space, all just to make it quiet enough that you can hear dialog. the pioneer drive is much quieter and plenty fast.

the review mentioned this, but I've experienced it personally, and the issue is understated. just a warning.

16. c:\windows thread starter macrumors member

I just looked up the price of the Pioneer 115D and it looks like it is only $35. Does this sound like the right drive. Here is what I found:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVR112DBK/

If that is the drive if seems like a nobrainer to add it....

17. rtrt, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

rtrt macrumors 6502a

18. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

19. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

SAS vs SATA speed

Here's an article showing how four 15K Cheetah SAS drives in a RAID 0 set compare in speed to four 10K Raptor SATA drives and four 7K Spinpoint drives:
    http://www.barefeats.com/harper13.html