Great SMS app for iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VToX, Feb 14, 2008.

1. VToX macrumors member

There is an application called SkySMS that lets you send SMS messages by VoiP. You will need to download FreeCall and make an acount Here.

Then add this source: irepo.xwaves.net
    Then go through all packages to find SkySMS and download it.
    Then go to Settings > Tap the FreeCall arrow > Enter your login and password.

Then you can send texts untill your account runs out (if it does just make a new one).

2. VToX thread starter macrumors member

3. illweather macrumors regular

Saw something about this app on another message board, glad you reminded me about it.

I'll give it a try, refreshing sources now...

4. Jin666 macrumors member

Thanks. I'm also really interested in this subject.

Just a quick question, do you have to use FreeCall with this app?

And can you really send and receive as many texts as you want (in the UK for me) for free with this provider?

Cheers

(To the OP: I sent you a PM but feel free to ignore it as it's just the same as this post)

5. illweather macrumors regular

So where do I sign up on that site?

Nevermind, found it.

So what is the format for entering a number? It said the first time I launched the app, but now I can't find where that info is.

6. VToX thread starter macrumors member

To sign up, you just download the VoiP program, and make an account.

7. illweather macrumors regular

8. illweather macrumors regular

So far no luck, none of my texts have come through on my cell yet...

9. Jin666 macrumors member

Just a quick thought.

Would it be possible to send and receive SMS messages through the email application? I'll be setting up my Gmail account with it, could you not just type in the number followed by a provider?

The more I think about it, perhaps not. I assume you would need some kind of provider for it, and here in the UK (for me anyway) there don't seem to be any.

However, I'm open to suggestions!

10. zittix macrumors newbie

This has been solved in the last version. Just update your installer sources !

Mathieu
    Xwaves

11. macornomac macrumors 6502

Ok I sent my cell a text and didn't get nothing what's going on??? Is there a special way to type in the phone number or something. Its not a international number just plain ole 10 digits.

12. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

There is a format.... for the US its

+1 _ _ _ - _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ but Mine is still not working.. my phone has not received a text. it said "message sent!"

13. macornomac macrumors 6502

Anyone able to get this thing to work??? I haven't got any texts. Looks like I'm going to uninstall this.

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh you have to buy credit to send a text.......... this would only be "great" if you could sent free texts (free meaning not paying to send texts) but hey I like to be tight fisted lol I'll stick with my unlimited free texts with my mobile subscriber :)

15. iJordo macrumors member

well there is always telelfip

you just type in the number of the person you want to text....

FE
    555-555-5555@teleflip.com

and u use the mail.app toSMS for free!

16. zittix macrumors newbie

What provider do you use ?

If it doesn't work, try first to send an SMS on the provider website using their web interface and check if it works. If it doesn't it's not a SkySMS problem !
    If it works please report problems to adm __AT__ xwaves __DOT__ net

Thank you

Mathieu
    Xwaves

17. macornomac macrumors 6502

I signed up with freecall and used that account and it doesn't work. Are there other ones where its free?????

18. zittix macrumors newbie

Have you tried to send an SMS using freecall website ? (http://www.freecall.com/en/sms_instructions.html ) because it it is working there it will not work on SkySMS either !

There is also the provider Vyke.com which gives 50 free SMS (or 100 it depends on the receiver country)

Mathieu

19. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Just open safari and navigate to www.txtdrop.com/iphone/#_sms

Then you enter your e-mail, the number you want to send the text to, then your message...

I have had the best success with this site! Just add it to the home screen, then its kinda like an app hahaha

20. z0n3x macrumors member

re

Egh,

or if you know the carrier

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
    Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
    Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
    Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
    Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

There you all go.

It will show up in their inbox showing your email from your iTouch, but isn't the point of SMS to be able to message on the go? Same concept, different protocol. Either way typing on the iTouch blows. I've had mine for two months now and I can hardly make a sentence without getting angry and the auto-subs or mistakes.

Best of luck.

21. IndianCheese macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks a million for all of those e-mail text redirects...but are you serious about the hard-to-type thing? I can type about 2X the speed on my iPod than I can on my RAZR...I actually think it's a lot easier to type on the touch screen than with real buttons.

22. TimJim macrumors 6502a

SkySMS worked for me first time. I would rather use the Mail.app method though.

23. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I just use mail.. Just the #@vtext.com...

24. lace69 macrumors newbie

helppp

ive got the skySMS app on my itouch, i can send texts just fine, but does anyone know how to relpy to those messages?/?

25. zittix macrumors newbie

Just provide your mobile phone number in the "Sender field" of the account settings. Replies will then be sent to your mobile phone.