Great time to buy a MacBook white

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by powerpcguy, May 13, 2015.

1. powerpcguy macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but it seems like a great time to buy a MacBook white. For 200 USD I just picked up a mid-2010 unibody with 4 gigs of ram, 250 gb hd, & 2.4 GHz Core Duo. The white MBs look dated to most, so I guess that's why you can pick one up for cheap. This one is currently running Yosemite like a dream. (Hopefully it stays that way for some time!)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

where?

3. powerpcguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ebay seller named "macmanprice," I'm not sure what else he may have.

4. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Despite having just sold mine and taking the plunge to a new macbook pro recently, I had the 2010 white unibody with 2.4ghz and upgraded the HDD to 750gb and 8 gb ram and I have to say that it was a pretty capable machine quite frankly. I was able to run the whole CS6 suite and run most of the programs I needed just fine. Yosemite ran relatively smoothly.

For that price, I would say it is worth it for most people. The video cards kinda suck and I had trouble playing fullscreen hd videos on a 24 external, but then again I had the macbook open as well and not in clamshell.

Don't expect miracles, but expect a good computer.

Also, I absolutely loved the white polycarbonate body. I had placed a decal on the Apple logo to make it the retro Apple logo with the different colors. It looked awesome.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I recently bought a late 2008 15in mbp for 225 off CL and I can not tell a difference in day to day usage with my 2012 machine.

Got it as it is nice to have a spare computer in a house

6. yano729 macrumors member

Just curious, what do the old black MacBooks go for? I have 2 2.0 Core 2 duos.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Nice. It would be nice if we could put a USB 3 adapter in the AirPort slot. Then we could use an external Wi-Fi adapter. I found a low profile USB 3 adapter like this at Amazon, but it come with a thick cable and a bad positioned cable slot, making it only suitable for desktops. But the solution is already here, it just needs a thinner cable and perhaps a "L" shaped plug which would fit inside the case. There is an article in the web which explains how to add a USB3 port to an iMac.

In another hand, this Mac supports 16GB of RAM, which is pretty capable of multitasking a lot of apps or loading big files. It will only become obsolete due to 4K, which will be a popular format around 2020. Even 1080p playing is laggy in most broadband plans <30Mbps.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That's not at all doable on the A1342.