Great utility for getting application data back

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jsgreen, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jsgreen macrumors 6502

When I upgraded to 4.1 and JB I forgot to back up Gas Cubby using the app's online sync capability (gas Cubby tracks car milage & other data), however I did have a recent iTunes backup, so I knew my data was on my iMac somewhere.

Problem: I wanted to restore this app's data without doing a formal "Restore" (lots of stuff I didn't want loaded again).

Solution: (Mac only, but it is free!): the "iPhone/iPod touch Backup Extractor" application from the website http://supercrazyawesome.com/

Install it and have it scan your backups; pick the app you want to extract and it pulls out the app's data files.

In the case of Gas Cubby, I extracted the sqlite3 datafile and then ssh'd it over to the appropriate directory on the phone - worked like a charm!

2. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks for this. Will be useful when upgrading to a new firmware because I always set up as new phone. This way I won't lose my game saves and stuff!

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

appbackup from Cydia is free and is suposed to do the same thing

4. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

Holy hell, I have been needing something like this for months! Thanks! :D

5. outphase macrumors 65816

You can restore individual app data this way even if you're not jailbroken using iPhone Explorer.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Didnt know about that one.
    Do you know where the app data backup is stored at when you use this package?
    I hope its not saved on an itunes backup cause each time I like to setup my phone as new instead of restoring from backup.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It's saved in a special folder that you backup with SSH or whatever your file transfer preference is. You have to manually back it up and then pull it off your phone. I used it to upgrade to 4.1 and worked awesome.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

How do you do that?

10. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Any way to do this with pictures? Videos? From a back up?

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I wasn't able to do this successfully with my pictures. I backed up the whole /var/mobile/blah/DCIM folder, and when I restored it, my pictures were not in the camera roll. I assume this happened because the camera roll, in addition to actually backing up the actual pictures (which is the most important, at least I still have them), there is probably some special sqlite database somewhere that I didn't backup and then restore.

I *THINK* with programs like these you are access the "user areas", like the application storage and stuff without being jailbroken. You wouldn't be able to access the bulk of the file system though.