Great Windows Phone 8.1 Apps: Let Us Know Here

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Found a great new Windows Phone 8.1 app you want to let people know about? Post it up here. I'll start in the next post.

2. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

First app is called: TimeMe

Link to TimeMe here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/timeme-tile/ef6099f2-41dd-4bad-9fa1-8f4143386194

Pics of app below in attachments. The tile in question is the first wide tile 2nd from the top. Displays the time as 09:41

What does it do? Unlike Clock Hub app, which is pretty useless, this allows you to put an HTC style clock on your homepage. Add on the local temp, weather conditions, battery percentage and month/day, plus be able to change the font type and you have a winner of an app that looks great and optimized for WP 8.1.

As you can see, the tile is transparent (but it has the option not to be) and the clock font is in Apple's iOS 7 Helvetica Neue, Ultra Light font. There is a total of 6-7 fonts to choose from. This app also has a stop watch, world time info, a countdown timer, AND it stays in your notification center a la Android. Makes it easy to swipe down and see current data if you aren't on your homescreen. And finally, it can display your current calendar info, date, battery and other info via your lockscreen.

This app is still in Alpha state, but in my opinion it is a solid Beta product. I have yet to find any issues with the app.

Attached Files:

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I don't have anything to contribute at this time, but I'd like to say that this is a good idea for a thread. As someone considering a Windows phone, I'd like to hear about good apps for 8.0 too.

4. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Project Tripod

This app is currently a Windows Phone exclusive (available on WP 8 and 8.1 phones only), but will be coming to Android and iOS within about 90 days. This is a very cool timelapse style photo app, that is similar to Google Maps crowd sources street view and photosphere photo's.

The following is from Sam Sabri via WPCentral.com discussing the app (Link: http://www.wpcentral.com/project-tripod-now-available-download
    Download here: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=4af70c44-5a07-41f4-968d-d361c64ec40c

Project Tripod Website here: http://www.projecttripod.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Perfect timing for this thread. I just picked up a 1520 yesterday. Updated to 8.1 last night. Still looking for some great apps to load on it.

On a similar note, does anyone have a good recommendation for podcast apps?

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

9. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

CNET: Now officially on Windows Phone

Article by George Ponder on WPCentral - Link: http://www.wpcentral.com/cnet-comes-windows-phone-all-its-tech-savviness

I have this app on all of my devices, and now we have it for Windows Phone. It is very similar in look and feel to the app you find on iOS and Android, but is laid out in the Windows Phone font and block style. Functions almost identically though, although missing some key features like search for articles or search categories. It's not bad for a 1.0 build though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't know why but unlike all my other phones - now I have my app based mostly covered (excluding more local content) I rarely go into the windows store to browse.

I have my rss news programme, music is covered, messaging, email, camera and editing, social media, sat nav, maps, phone, weather, calendar etc... I don't game on my 1520 other than Rayman & Smart Glass for the XBO. so having all that covered now I only ever go into App Store when there is an update....

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is me as well, but its my normal M. O. since I didn't have a ton of apps for the iPhone.

12. gollum macrumors regular

Microsoft OneNote works very well on the Mac, iOS, Android, and WP.
    Sync's fast too.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

15. Lloydbm41, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Weird. I have not run into that issue yet. I wonder if we have a difference in a setting somewhere?

Edit: I take it back. I have to manually refresh the tile every so often, or I have the same problem.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

I noticed that issue as well. I ended up unpinning the tile and using a large weather tile instead, as that was the most important information for me.

I also was playing around with some settings and found out that one of the best unannounced features is native iCloud support. A single sign-in allows email, contact and calendar syncing! Saves me a lot of headaches in trying to sync with Outlook.com, iCloud and Google.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I updated the app to the latest version yesterday and there was a help blurb about having battery saver on and the app not updating in the background. I turned off battery saver and so far its working as expected.

I wonder if the developer will have this resolved before it reaches version 1

18. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Updating this thread with some new gems:

1. Sheep Up - A game that started on iOS. It has been perfectly ported over.
    2. Atmosphere Weather - A very nice weather app with 8.1 transparent tile
    3. Torrex Pro - Best torrenting app on WP
    4. Doorstep - A new package tracker with transparent tile and 8.1 compatibility
    5. myAppFree - Notifies you of a free app of the day and high rated featured apps on WP
    6. MMA Underground - News, calendar, stats, profiles, events for UFC / MMA
    7. Pako - A time waster of epic proportion

19. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Great windows phone apps? This will be a short thread! :D

20. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yeah... yeah... It is tough being a Windows Phone fan these days. What can I say? I like an underdog platform that has so much potential. :D

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Freda is, by far, the best ebook reader I've used ever, it opens a lot of them when others error out. I have to end up reading them on my tablet or WP, can't find a good replacement on iOS right now. Never had it fail to open the file and be readable.