MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

More than 50% of iPhone 13 models set to be shipped later this year will support mmWave, according to a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report, in line with rumors that mmWave will be supported in more regions.

iphone-5g-mmwave-16x9.jpg

"Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone series - tentatively dubbed the iPhone 13 - later in 2021, according to industry sources, which believe that more than 50% of the total iPhone 13s set to be shipped this year will be 5G mmWave models," the preview said. The full report should be published by tomorrow with additional details.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and other sources have claimed that iPhone 13 models will support ultra-fast mmWave 5G bands in additional countries, with likely candidates including Canada, Japan, Australia, and some European countries. By comparison, mmWave support on iPhone 12 models is limited to the United States.

mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that promise ultra-fast speeds at short distances, which is suitable for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas.

When we tested Verizon's mmWave network with a Samsung smartphone in Chicago in mid-2019, we were able to hit download speeds of close to 2Gb/s, but speeds vary drastically based on your position and proximity to the nearest 5G tower. For a more detailed comparison of 5G bands, read our mmWave vs. sub-6GHz 5G iPhone Guide.

Article Link: Greater Share of iPhone 13 Models Expected to Support Ultra-Fast mmWave 5G

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I’d say that 50% doesn’t include iPhone sold to Australia. Dunno if aus isp would include mmWave. AFAIK only sub 6ghz is supported, which doesn’t really provide much faster speed than 4G.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
This might be another reason for the rumored larger batteries.

I really hope iPhone 13 ships with the newest, most energy efficient Qualcomm modem, as I see no use for 5G but Im in the market for a new iPhone mini in the fall. I know 5G can allegedly be "turned-off" in settings but reports of short battery-life, heat, etc. have plagued iPhone 12's rushed 5G gimmick.

awdodson24

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Michigan
I was in an area with 5GUW while in Nashville a couple weeks ago... my god does it suck down the battery.

The being said -- I was pulling down 2.5 gigs!

Reactions: Biglethal69

awdodson24

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Michigan
At this point, my 4G mobile downloads already seem pretty darn fast. While I'm not super technically inclined, not sure how or why 5G matters to me anyway—is it just for the sake of incremental progress? To each his own I guess.
The real impact of 5G is going to occur once the networks blanket most of the country. While your phone speeds will be fast (which is great), the bigger use case is smart city technology. Our 'smart' highways with autonomous cars will run off that network. Delivery robots will run off that network. I'd also expect more innovative office/workspace coming in the future that incorporates more outdoor workspace because 5G (and future iterations) will have faster speeds than any office currently has today.

mikethemartian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
At this point, my 4G mobile downloads already seem pretty darn fast. While I'm not super technically inclined, not sure how or why 5G matters to me anyway—is it just for the sake of incremental progress? To each his own I guess.
Well as people buy more products with wireless capability they will need more bandwidth.

macsound1

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Right there with you.
Spotify and YouTube work just fine over LTE. Occasionally I'll tether to my mac and email and casual browsing is just fine.
Because of that and the understanding that 5G in general will use more battery life with no real benefit, I've turned 5G off on my 12.

While I understand the importance for 5G, it seems to really have benifit for those who don't have fast internet available in any other capacity. Flat rural residents can get a fast internet rollout much sooner than digging trenches and laying fiber with a single 5G tower.

Personally, living in a suburb in Northern California, Starbucks is enough of a computer stop-gap if I'm away from home or work and need to upload or download a large file using my mbp.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Was just assuming all 13's would have the capability everywhere. Would not be surprised if Apple had to pay Qualcomm more to have it "enabled" on the handset.
It would be great if the mobile providers actually provide mmWave in greater capacity. Also I find that speeds on regular 5G aren’t really much different than LTE in most cases.
Other than in very high capacity open or closed spaces it's not a great tech though - it doesn't go very far compared to lower frequency 5G, it doesn't through windows, let alone doors or walls. So might be good in train stations, airports or urban street areas that have lots of people and want those microwaves to give them the extra speed.

For the rest of the frequencies 5G was and is really a big deal for the providers (they can put alot more capacity in place of 4G on that same frequency) and users get a little benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucemr

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2013
I really hope iPhone 13 ships with the newest, most energy efficient Qualcomm modem, as I see no use for 5G but Im in the market for a new iPhone mini in the fall. I know 5G can allegedly be "turned-off" in settings but reports of short battery-life, heat, etc. have plagued iPhone 12's rushed 5G gimmick.
They are using Qualcomm’s X60 modem built on TSMC’s 5nm process vs the iPhone 12’s X55 thats built on a 7nm process. Should offer a noticeable improvement to battery life.

The biggest thing I hope to see is VoNR support. As far as I can tell the X55 modem does not support VoNR whilst the X60 does.

Reactions: Biglethal69

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Mid-Band 5G - 3.5 Gbits/sec

mmWave 5G - 4 Gbits/sec

This is according to Apple.

In short, if your 5G experience is slow, it's not because of the technology. Either your carrier doesn't have the frequency or your goverment hasn't allocated or auctioned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.