Greatest Product Launch Of All Time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by secondcup, Mar 16, 2011.

1. secondcup macrumors member

secondcup

Ok, I've put my $100 down at Best Buy with no joy (yet). I've read on the forum about other members' experiences trying to procure an Ipad2, and it seems few scored a pad after launch day.

Is it the greatest product launch of all time, or is this standard operating procedure for Apple? As this is my first attempt to buy an Apple product so close to launch, I have to wonder if this apparent shortage of product is normal.

2. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Hmm, I don't know... has to be greatest electronics launch ever, right?

3. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I have bought apple products for a few years and I can say that this is the only one that I've had to wait 3-4 weeks for. So I think people just really want this thing...

4. Dknelson728 macrumors member

I'ma let you finish..but the iPhone 4 had one of the best launches of ALL TIME!

5. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

6. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

If you're going to be at home, next time you go to buy something from Apple on day one, order it online for home delivery. Drama / obnoxious trip to an Apple Store avoided.

That said, in addition to being able to order online for home delivery, in the past, those with actual lives/jobs have been able to reserve online for in store pickup. One would then simply show up at the Apple Store on opening day and be queued up in a reservation holder line that moves quickly. You're out of there and back to reality in no time.

This has suited people like me (who travel for a living) well, as Apple won't deliver to any address other than my credit card's, so having an online order sent to my current/next hotel isn't an option. (Happened to be at home for the original iPad's debut and had one delivered to my front door on opening day.) For some inexplicable reason, this time they took away the ability to pre-order for in store pickup, opening the process / available inventory up to people who have nothing better to do than stand around in lines buying multiples to resell, or whatever.

I don't know why they chose to make things so difficult for so many people, but from Apple's point of view, a sale is a sale whether their products are being scalped, bought by loyal customers, or by average consumers.

Oh well, no biggie. I put in a reservation at a nearby Best Buy in the city I'm currently in. If they call before I'm off to my next hotel, cool. If not, no worries. My original iPad's still working fine.

7. secondcup thread starter macrumors member

secondcup

My point exactly!

8. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

If this is true, scalpers need to get much credit...

9. Richard599 macrumors newbie

Ordered iPad 2 On Line

I ordered my iPad 2 on line at 4 am March 11th. I received it 10 days later - just as the quoted. Good job Apple! Richard599

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Greatest product launch of all time? Nope.

But it is one of the top 10. Just wish they would have had more product to meet the demand. If they had, this may well have been the greatest of all time... In terms of revenue anyway.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

After you've been around the Apple Hype Machine for awhile, you'll see that everything is always accompanied by the time worn statements like:

"It just works"
    "This changes everything"
    "It's Magical and Revolutionary"

Blah Blah Blah Blah.

Sure, Apple makes some good products, but their real genius is repeating this stuff so frequently that people actually believe it and buy anything that has an Apple logo on it, cool is what they call it.

Yeah, it's cool man :eek:

The "Magic Of Mind Control" :)

12. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I was able to find two iPad-2s at local (within 40 miles) Targets using the Target finder links. Got both at seperate time using a 10% discount card and another 5% off with my Target card.

Why are they in short supply? Crisis in Japan perhaps? CNC machined case parts slow to make? Steep competition for memory chips thanks to increasing demand for smartphones?

Greatest product launch of all time? Nope. Might have been if anyone wanting one could have gotten one when they wanted it.

JMHO

15. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Not even close.

16. fastblack macrumors regular

I found my iPad using ipad2locator.com which was recommended on these forums.

Try it, you might get lucky.

17. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816