Green Apple Bumper review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NeonGreenHermit, Jul 11, 2010.

1. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

[pics to follow!]

So anyway, I ordered old greenie (and pinkie, for the missus) weeks ago, and looking at the current 3 week lead time didn't expect much joy for a while still. I was thus rather stunned when at midnight last night I stumble into the bedroom and find them waiting for me (missus: 'oh yeah, they arrived. Didn't I tell you?').

In glee, I ripped the packet open to examine my new bumper, and trained my eye for all the defects reported on the forums here.

Positives:
    - Great colour! It's vibrant, but that's a love-it or hate-it thing (check out my name :D)
    - Snug fit.... sort of (more below).
    - Cool little metal buttons, just like on the iP4.
    - Feels smooth in the hand.
    - No 'scratches' on the iP4 antenna (I nervously removed the bumper to check)
    - Fits with the Universal Dock
    - Fits with front & back Invisible Shield (wet, applied from launch day)
    - Shows off the phone well.

OK, nothing groundbreaking on that front. However, here are a few niggles that may aid anyone considering a purchase though.

Not-so positives (one could even say negatives!):
    - It feels cheap. Aside from the metal buttons, it's not high-grade plastic, and is far thinner than I imagined. OMGWTFROFLECOPTER Apple...? Don't mind paying for a decent bit of kit...
    - Inside rim had a few raised blobs of plastic. I imagine this is what contributes to the reported scratches, and is obviously a result of cheap manufacturing. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I could 'scrape' these off with just my thumbnail...
    - Not... really... that protective. I mean I have no intention of a drop test, but I am proud Otterbox advocate - device protection is of importance to me. This is no replacement.
    - The buttons rattle. Not a deal-killer, but slightly irritating, especially as my iP4 build is solid.
    - There is some 'give' when squeezed on the infamous bottom-left corner. Not sure why, I can't see any structural alterations, but there we go. The bumper kinda compresses on itself a degree... but this won't be a problem since I followed the Hold Different 101 class :p

Thoughts:

Whilst I do like it in some ways, but it's definitely not worth the £25 I paid for it. Lots of money for a little bit of plastic that will probably break on a few drops. This said, it still *is* some protection, and shows off the phone whilst retaining those cool little metal buttons. I've never been one for form over protection (Otterbox, Otterbox...), and perhaps I've chosen the wrong iPhone model to start showing off my gadget, but the green trim looks dead cool. I hate saying that, but it does. It looks good - and looks can kill, if the ifixit bumper drop test is anything to go by.

As for the imperfections, I may show them to a 'Genius' at some point to see if I can grab a replacement when bumpers are flowing free like running water. It's no biggie, and I've had great experiences getting my knackered old headphones replaced on the spot... so we'll see.

Would I still buy one if I had the chance to try one before purchase? If it wasn't green, No. I have a mild obsession with neon green cases/stuff that I can't help (as I explain to the missus, better this than whiskey). Unfortunately, the bumper isn't as solid as I thought it would be, and I'm OK to admit that and live with it.

Roll on Otterbox iP4 cases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

Nice review. :)

I'm kinda going back and forth on whether or not to get the Bumper. Its overpriced obviously and it doesn't really protect the phone i guess, plus it ruins the beautiful design imho.

3. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I'll get some pics up soon if anyone is interested.

12 hours on, and it's really growing on me. Not because I have some blind fanboy belief that it will save my phone from antenna issues (or even a concrete drop), but because it looks and feels nice, and it adds that personal touch to my iP4 (I always had a green case for all my previous iPhone). I do like the design without one, but I also like it with... if that makes any sense. Lucky for me, I can just take it off, eh?

Still a kicker for £25, no two ways around it.

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you don't want it, haha. :p

If I were you, I'd buy it, try it out, & sell it on eBay for twice as much as you paid if you don't like it. Some think it's wrong, but it's not my fault people are willing to pay that price. :rolleyes:

Nice review, by the way! Here are some pictures (to save the OP time/effort):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954308&highlight=green+bumper
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=962438&highlight=green+bumper

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Nice review, thanks!
    I have a green one on order. Little worried about it, but hey, it'll work for now I suppose.

6. fender57 macrumors 6502

Green one is very cool looking, goes with the black iPhone quite well. I'm currently sporting a green one, I have the black one (that looks cool as well) and would like to eventually get a white one and maybe orange.